stress testing

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Jul 11 09:16:55 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 03:59:48AM -0400, Matej Pfajfar wrote:
> I am going to start writing a "network simulation", i.e. something that
> will make many connections through the or net and verify that the transfer
> was OK. Whatever bugs there might still be in there, I reckon they'll show
> up if we use something like that ...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Great.

> First of all, has anyone already written anything like that and has hidden
> it from the allseeing cvs repository? ;-)

Not me :)

> I am also accepting feature requests - for now I'll just verify the data
> transfer. Delay would also be a good thing to measure, anything else?

Might be nice to simulate not just a user, but also another OR. That
way we can hammer it using cells, too many cells, broken cells, random
cells, cells of an unexpected type for a given state, etc. (Ok, maybe
'simulate' isn't the right word there anymore. But yeah.)

--Roger