problems with the aci range too small?

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Dec 17 15:55:09 UTC 2002

So this is something we also thought about long ago.
And we considered most of these solutions. It is interesting
that ubiquitous of 1.1 is still in the offing.

I prefer the fourth answer. A nice thing is that it's tunable.
You can limit a particular connection to an individual page or
session at a given web site if you wish. As Roger says, there's
lots of potential complexity here. And there is ever the potential
of affecting anonymity sets, e.g., if I'm an intermediate node
maybe shortlived connections are more paranoid hence more interesting?

In any case, I would expand it a bit to allow the `topics' to also
mate existing connections. This allows a certain degree of circuit
hopping, which reduces (or diffuses, which is after all the whole
story) profilability at small additional overhead of
total connections. We had such an idea long ago, but it never got
past the high level design discussion stage. Too many other things
to do today to write more, and I gotta leave in a few hours.

-Paul