problems trying to run OR...

Bruce Montrose montrose at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Thu Aug 22 19:22:10 UTC 2002

LOL. While I was reading your reply I was thinking to myself, "I remember
making that change to my routers file already."

Well, I had made the change to my routers file on each of the router
machines. I just forgot to update my local copy (the copy i sent you).

I ran checksums on all the files in the ortest directory of each of my
onion router machines to verify that all my onion router machines are using
the same files, and then updated my local machine with this ortest
directory. I then created a tar-ball of it and attached it to this email.
So, I can say for certain that this is the ortest directory which was used
on all my onion router machines at the time of my testing. My apologies for
sending the wrong file before.

So to answer your question; Yes, I am using the same orrc file on all my
onion routers. All three onion routers started up on port 9001 as specified
in the routers file when I ran my test.

Here is the procedure that I followed:

I first ran the command: "./or -f orrc&" from within the "ortest" directory
of each of my onion router machines.
After all the onion routers were up, I then did: "./httpap -f httpaprc -p
8080&" from my first onion router machine.
Then I brought up my Internet Explorer which I previously setup to use
httpaprc as a proxy.
It was at this point that my first onion router entered into that
new_route() infinite loop I mentioned previously.