[tor-consensus-health] Consensus issues

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun Dec 24 19:17:54 UTC 2023

On Sun, Dec 24, 2023 at 04:58:39PM +0100, Linus Nordberg via dir-auth wrote:
> We failed to make a consensus at midnight so no shared random from the previous period.

Yes, that's right. The shared-random-value is only created at the midnight
(utc) consensus, and if we don't produce a midnight consensus, we fall
back to a hard-coded SRV for that day.

Not the end of the world, but still kind of a crummy design, and in the
glorious future when people are more interested to improve things, I
could imagine we switch to some sort of modern consensus thing, maybe
motivated by the recent blockchain progress.

--Roger