[tor-consensus-health] Consensus issues

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Apr 2 18:48:33 UTC 2018

Hi Linus, on irc teor noted the problem: tor26 is timing out, causing
DocTor to hang for hours and work with a stale consensus. This is odd
because I attempt to time out requests after sixty seconds...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/doctor.git/tree/consensus_health_checker.py#n41

Spent an hour this morning poking around to figure out what's up but
no luck. One stackoverflow mentioned that the timeout is only applied
if zero bytes are received, so if the connection is simply horribly
slow (trickling a couple bytes a minute) the timeout won't be applied.
Unfortunately I'm unsure of a fix on my end besides replacing urllib.
:/