[community] [Outreachy] Important - Meeting next Tuesday, 1600 UTC, and closing the project for new contributors

gus gus at torproject.org
Tue Apr 13 17:34:47 UTC 2021

Hello Outreachy candidates,

You can read our meeting log here:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-04-13-15.57.log.html

And here is our meeting pad:

Outreachy meeting pad
---------------------

Next meeting: Tuesday April 20 16:00 UTC

Meeting 2021-04-13

Presents:
    * Gus
    *

== Agenda ===

  * Review Outreachy tasks
  * How to record your contributions
  * Q&A

== Updates ==

FORMAT! Please copy and paste this block and edit:

Name:
    This week:
        - What you worked on this week.
    Help with:
         - Something you may need help with.

Gus:
    This week:
        - Reviewing Outreachy's pull requests.
        - Approving issues on GitLab.

 Joydeep (aka championquizzer)
    - A not so neat guide for first contributors:
      https://championquizzer.gitlab.io/blog/2021/04-13-first-contributions.html

Kulsoom Zahra(kulsoom.zahra):
    This week:
    -Working on
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/support/-/issues/113
    -answered a question on r/Tor that recieved a comment(It was
regarding installing uBlock so I answered why it's highly NOT
recommended).
link
-https://www.reddit.com/r/TOR/comments/mplyh7/reddit_and_google_are_connected/gucclad?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

-https://github.com/torproject/support/pull/225
Fix #197 [Bridge] Duplicate keys:
There were some redundant keys on the Community portal Relay operation
section,
I fixed these layout keys and arranged them in alphabetical order

-https://github.com/torproject/community/pull/122
opened a PR for adding Fedora instructions

-https://github.com/torproject/tpo/pull/103
 Fix#173 Added parentheses to Homepage definition #103
The tagline of the Tor project in Jumbotron was missing parentheses in
the definition of the organization : We believe everyone should be able
to explore the internet with privacy. We are the Tor Project, a 501(c)3
US nonprofit.
Now it is : We believe everyone should be able to explore the internet
with privacy. We are the Tor Project, a 501(c)(3) US nonprofit.
Found 3 more instances of the same
-https://github.com/torproject/community/pull/111(community outreach
page) 1 here
-https://github.com/torproject/tpo/pull/102(about page) 2 here

-https://github.com/torproject/community/pull/116
[Relays] Update ticket number and link

-https://github.com/torproject/support/pull/225
i proposed that we can replace 'program' with Browser, because we are
explicitly answering how to verify Tor Browser download.

-After completing
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/support/-/issues/113#note_2732088
I'm planning to work on solving some difficult tickets.
-Also analyzing channels and public sites to create a consice report
regarding major UX pain points.
-I learnt how to use IRC and Hexchat!:)
-Opened an issue
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/manual/-/issues/84 adding some
explaination to "why installing plugins, add-ons is not recommended"
Help with:
    - While working on
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/support/-/issues/113, I was
having a bit difficulty in figuring out where is the main website's
html. I'm trying to figure it out and hopefully by today will complete
it.
    -Please review
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/support/-/issues/54#note_2730989

Ishika Kumar (IK_11, github: Ishika11):
    This week:
        - Raised an issue
        - Made 1 pull request on torproject/manual
        - Made 1 pull request on torproject/support
        - Completed task 4 given on outreachy site (answering common
          questions)
        - (To do) Complete task 3 (major UX pain points)
        - (To do) Raise another issue on a UX related inconsistency
    Help with:
         - Comfortable with github but was facing difficulty making PRs
           to gitlab

Anushka Jain (aka likeanushkaa):
    This week:
    - Learned and created one pull request to include IRC link in
      relay-operations-
    got merged(tor/community)
    - I'm planning to work on this issue next-
      https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/tpo/-/issues/68#note_2731242
    - I am reading some Tor blogs and trying to find user pain points.
    - Trying to complete Task 4 on the list.
    Help with:
    - I cannot understand a lot of technical terms related to Tor (as
      mentioned in blogs and user comments etc.), how to go about it?
What all do we need to know?
    - Finding user pain points: Is this considered a contribution? How
      do we record them? We have to submit a pull reuest for the
contributions.

Udokaku Ugochukwu (aka Udoka):
    This week:
        - Completed Task 2,4,6 from the outreachy project tasks.
        - Created a Tor Gitlab account.
        - Downloaded and tested the Tor browser.
        - Read the Tor support documentation site.
        - Set up HexChat and familarized with the IRC
    Help With:
        I registered for a Tor gitlab account, how long would it take
before I get access?

Shreya:
    This week:
        - working on:
          https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/community/-/issues/188#note_2731989
        -Created an account on GitLab, now learning to use it.
    Help with:
         - I tried looking up r/TOR as asked in the task list but I
           don't understand most stuff there.
         - How to record most of the tasks mentioned as contributions on
           Outreachy website.

Abongwa Bonalais(aka Burnleydev):

    This week:
-I contributed in moving this documentations of Hackweek from Pads  To
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek main repository.
Did some clean up with markdown formatting.

    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/10
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/11
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/12
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/13
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/14
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/15
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/16
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/17
    https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/18

-Updated the README at
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek so each notes added
should have a link, linking to the main file in the git
repository(https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/hackweek/-/merge_requests/19)

-Did a minor grammar fix on this FAQ-"Am I totally anonymous if I use
Tor?".

-Updated the Windows Expert Bundles from "Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP,
2000, 2003 Server, ME, and Windows 98SE" To "Windows 10, 8, 7, and
Windows Server (>= 2008)" on this site:
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/

Reason:
"Vista, XP, 2000, 2003 Server, ME, and Windows 98SE" are not in
conformity with this statement "Supported Windows (>= 7) and Windows
Server (>= 2008)" In Supported Platforms
(https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/team/-/wikis/NetworkTeam/SupportedPlatforms)
and needs to be removed since they no longer receive updates from
Microsoft, not also supported.

-Answered few questions on reddit/r/Tor and #tor channel

Help With:
    -This issue: Create canonical links to the latest versions of Tor
Browser
    -Please review this:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/tpo/-/issues/172

Naijeria Toweett
    This week:
         - Completed reading all the resources on outreachy internship
         - Set up tor project on my local
         - Worked on
           https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/lego/-/issues/23 -
documented changes and tempted to push project to git so I could create
a PR
          - Once I manage to make my first commit , I will work on
    Help with:
         - Needed help with first commit but I have found this resoource