[community] Outreachy - Common questions to answer

gus gus at torproject.org
Sun Oct 25 22:17:37 UTC 2020

Hello Outreachy applicants,

Here is a list of common questions from our users. Please feel free to
search and use our documentation. The answer to all questions should be
sent in a single email, like this:

To: frontdesk at torproject.org
Subject: [Outreachy] your name

You won't need an URL for this contribution, just add to your
contribution notes ("answered Support questions") and that will be fine.

Pleas do not reply the answers to this mailing list.

Thanks,
Gus

---------

1. Is there any option for me who was just given a chrome laptop to use
tor browser?

2. Hi, using an VPN with Tor is recommended?

3. Hi, my Ubuntu laptop will not allow me to download Tor. Can you help
me?

4. Hi, where can I find the Windows Expert Bundle?

5. Can u help me please??? Tor don't conected
4/16/2019 0:26:33 AM.700 [NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not
make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all
existing connections.
4/16/2019 0:27:10 AM.000 [NOTICE] Opening Socks listener on
127.0.0.1:9150
4/16/2019 0:27:10 AM.000 [NOTICE] Opened Socks listener on
127.0.0.1:9150
4/16/2019 0:27:10 AM.000 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 5%: Connecting to
directory server
4/16/2019 0:27:10 AM.000 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 10%: Finishing handshake
with directory server
4/16/2019 0:27:30 AM.200 [WARN] 10 connections have failed:
4/16/2019 0:27:30 AM.200 [WARN]  8 connections died in state handshaking
(TLS) with SSL state SSLv2/v3 read server hello A in HANDSHAKE
4/16/2019 0:27:30 AM.200 [WARN]  2 connections died in state
connect()ing with SSL state (No SSL object)
4/16/2019 0:27:30 AM.300 [NOTICE] Closing no-longer-configured Socks
listener on 127.0.0.1:9150
4/16/2019 0:27:30 AM.300 [NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not
make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all
existing connections.

6. Hi there, just today it seems as though my ISP has begun censoring my
Tor usage. Even when connected via VPN, I'm still completely unable to
get into the Tor network. Would really appreciate your help.

7. Hello. I need a tor obfs4 bridge. Where can I find?

8. I have a code for bridges, but what is the right app to download Tor
Browser on my iPhone?

9. Where can I download a 32 bit version for Win7?

10. When I go to sign in to my Gmail account the page keeps coming up in
another language. I've gone to options on the browser and keep selecting
English (US), but nothing is changing.

11. Can I help you with translate Tor Browser to Polish language?

12. Hey, Do you have a windows XP version still running ? Thanks in
advance!

13. Is it secure to use an adblock like uBlock origin with Tor Browser?

14. For a few months, now, Tor Browser has been acting strange such that
it does not retain a consistent UI Form or Window when resized or
otherwise.
It does not get displayed correctly in my OS (Windows 10) while other
Mozilla or Chrome-based browsers display correctly.
Tor seems to always display itself as a container within a container.
If I try to resize the browser, the browser sides continuously change
size, sometimes they shrink while other times they grow.  Basically, it
behaves as if the border padding, margins settings are warped, not set
to a constant size but elastic.

--
The Tor Project
Community Team Lead