[community] Building Tor Browser

Rishabh Raj rishabhstpaul at gmail.com
Wed May 22 15:16:24 UTC 2019

Hello,
I am actually working on modifying some parts of Tor Browser for my project
and for that I will need to build Tor Browser's source code. I was
following this website
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking> and
after cloning tor-browser-build repo, I did a make nightly-linux-x86_64,
which took almost half a day to complete on my Ubuntu 18.04 system. But,
since I would be making some changes to the browser (mostly Firefox code),
I need to alter code and build again and again.

In the above website, there is an option for '*Building Just Firefox*' and
I decided to try that. As per the above website/doc, I cloned tor-browser
repo and followed the instructions. First, the command

make $CONFIGURE_ARGS -f client.mk configure
CONFIGURE_ARGS="--with-tor-browser-version=tbb-nightly
--with-distribution-id=org.torproject --enable-update-channel=default
--enable-bundled-fonts"

gave me :

client.mk:40: /.mozconfig-client-mk: No such file or directory

client.mk:72: *** client.mk must be used via mach. Try running ./mach
configure. Stop.

./mach configure was not working as well, but using this webpage
<https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/36f4ba2fb6f5>, I patched
the *init.configure* file and it worked. But now when I run ./mach build,
it finally gives (after doing a lot of compilation):

So could anyone please guide me as to how should I go about doing this.
Basically as I had said in the beginning, I just want to modify and rebuild
to test the new code that I would be introducing. Kindly help me out.

I actually asked this question on Tor's stack exchange as well, but I
didn't get any help, so I really hope I can get some help here.

Warm Regards,
Rishabh Raj