[community] TOR101

gus gus at torproject.org
Tue Mar 19 15:13:48 UTC 2019

Hi Jason,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 10:29:09AM +0000, J.S. Evans wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My name is Jason and I am a training engineer for an open-source software company.

Welcome! :)

> I have been lurking around the Tor community mailing lists and /r/Tor and /r/onions subreddits for the past few months answering newbie questions. I have also blogged a bit about my experiences with Tor. I would like to take the next step and write a free Intro to TOR online course. The way that I normally build a training course is by producing a slide deck and exercise book and then recording everything as a series of videos. If the student wants to try it for themselves, they can use exercise book to follow along on their own PCs. The course would be produced under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

In Community team we have been working on the training slides and
they're more or less ready. Our plan is to release it with the new
community portal.

> This course could be used for onboarding new volunteers or just raising the knowledge level of the general public. Having spent time helping on Reddit, I see lots of people who come there looking for info on "The Dark Web" (a term that I dislike). They have no idea what Tor is except from some clickbait article or YouTube video that makes it sound dangerous and edgy.

Yep! The "deep web" narrative, that is used to scare people from using a
secure web browser.

> Here is the outline that I have now:
>
> Section 1: Introduction to the Tor Browser
> What is Tor?
> What is the Tor Browser?
> Exercise: Download the Tor Browser
> How do I use Tor on Android?

Cool! We have this done. I'll share with you in private.

> Section 2: Introduction to the Tor Service (Linux)
> Tor Application
> Torrc
> Exercise: Review Torrc
> What is an Onion Service?
> Exercise: Create Web Service
> Exercise: Create SSH Service

I was thinking to create one about onion services only. So we could use it
as "how to decentralize the web". You could start with this one :)

> Section 3: Introduction to Relays (Linux)
> What is a Relay?
> Middle Nodes and Guard Nodes
> Exercise: Setting up a new middle node
> Exit Nodes
> Bridges
> Exercise: Setting up a new bridge

This is almost done (the tor network), we need a better design and images :)

About the video recording. Tor already made some videos class in the
past, but the problem is that it gets outdated really fast:

https://media.torproject.org/video/TBBTraining/

> Input is always appreciated!
>
> Best Regards,
> Jason