[community] Tor usage in North Korea as a foreigner

Kate Krauss ailanthus at riseup.net
Wed Aug 28 21:51:23 UTC 2019

> I intend to bring my own laptop and a USB stick from which i will boot
> the TAILS OS.

Hi Gabriel,

Just one person's view:

Consider the benefit vs the risk:

Benefit: You'll get uncensored and private Internet in North Korea
(although outside actors will be able to see that you are using Tor).

The risk, though, is that you will be detained in North Korea for an
unspecified amount of time. I'm sure you are familiar with the case of
Otto Warmbier [0]. North Korea has a pattern of detaining harmless
tourists and using them as political pawns. It's less a question of your
actions than just your presence on the scene. Illegal actions are
whatever the government says they are.

Note that the US govt is advising US nationals (not saying you are one,
but fyi) not to travel to North Korea at all due to "risk of arrest and
longterm detention of US nationals[1]. Also, NGOs use USB drives to
smuggle political propaganda into North Korea, increasing the likelihood
that a USB will receive extra attention from the authorities.

If I were you, I would not do this.

Cheers,

ailanthus

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier