[community] search function for support.tpo

silvia [hiro] hiro at torproject.org
Thu Nov 15 09:31:49 UTC 2018

Hi all,

On 11/13/18 2:50 PM, Alison Macrina wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> I know you're just getting started as sysadmin, but I want to check in
> with you about something we're hoping to get for support.torproject.org:
> a search function. The ticket was temporarily closed since we couldn't
> figure out a way to do search:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25322. But maybe you can
> help?
>
> Happy to provide more info as needed.
>
> Thanks, Alison

So getting back to plan a reasonable setup to search our portals. The
last time we talked about this, UX wanted the following:

- Text search per portal

- Results should be on a html page and not be fetched via JS

- The subdomain where results should be served should be the same of the
portal where the user started the search

My original idea and test included setup for 1 solr instance. Results
from solar were retrieved through a web service written in python that
would only query solr and serve the html pages to the user.

Ideally the web service could live on a different subdomain and the
pages be served with proxypass?

This setup though complicates a lot our static rotation architecture.
There are a lot of questions open that I can discuss with Linus and
Weasel separately.

Talk soon,

-hiro