[community] Tor talk at Open Data Camp Bangalore

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir at torproject.org
Tue Apr 25 05:33:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

> I will be giving a Tor talk at the Open Data Camp at Google India in
> Bangalore, on 22 April. You can find more details here:
>
>     http://odc.datameet.org/odcblr2017
>
> (The page should be updated shortly.)
>
> There are also plans for a CryptoParty on Friday; I will update when I have
> more information.
>
> If anyone has worked with open data or given talks at related events, I am
> looking for suggestions on how we can interleave it with privacy and anonymity
> and therefore, Tor.

The talk (presentation) is available at:

    https://people.torproject.org/~sukhbir/talks/odc2017-bangalore.pdf

(Happy to share the TeX file and the SVG files in case you are interested.)

I also gave a demo where I showed a simple Python script fetching a web page
with/without using Tor (the audience was fairly technical) so that people
working on open data could use Tor to collect data without revealing their
location or identity. There was a lot of discussion on Tor and privacy in
general and I was surprised to see that the majority of people in the audience
had used/were using Tor. Overall, the event went great though I wish we had
more time for a practical hands-on workshop. Maybe next time!

--
Sukhbir