[Tor-censorship-events] [IMPORTANT] How sad would you be if we shut down this mailing list?

l.m ter.one.leeboi at hush.com
Mon Aug 17 23:03:04 UTC 2015

Well that's perfect. So what I'll do is redirect efforts from the
onionoo reimplementation using metric-lib reimplementation to this
problem. It sounds like an entertaining diversion. All the components
are the same, instead it just recognizes particular events like
censorship.

And since now there's nothing and all....

Getting the requirements drafted sounds like it will take awhile
anyway.

--leeroy

On 8/16/2015 at 7:09 AM, "Karsten Loesing"  wrote:[Moving this thread
back to the list.]

On 16/08/15 12:50, l.m wrote:
> So how does one actually  fix it. All I've read here is that there
> may be a new version, and  thanks for anyone who makes an effort.
> Who makes an effort? How to make  an effort. It should be obvious
> why the list should stay. It makes  censorship visible which then
> makes analysis easier.
>
> If you're not going to provide method that people can contribute to
> a fix you might as well get rid of it then.

I could imagine two scenarios here:

 - Somebody writes a better censorship detector on their own which
produces fewer false positives than the one we currently have [0], and
at some point we start running that on a Tor host and possibly have it
send notifications to this list.

 - The Tor Measurement Team sketches out requirements and possibly a
design for a future censorship detector and finds somebody to work on
it with the goal to run it on a Tor host and possibly send
notifications to this list.  The planning part here may take another
four to six weeks [1], and it's yet uncertain whether this project
will be higher priority than all the other things that need doing.

Karsten
[0]
https://research.torproject.org/techreports/detector-2011-09-09.pdf

[1]