[tor-bugs] #24800 [Webpages/Website]: Please add job posting to website - Chief Financial and Grants Officer
Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki
blackhole at torproject.org
Thu Jan 4 23:23:13 UTC 2018
#24800: Please add job posting to website - Chief Financial and Grants Officer
Reporter: ewyatt | Owner: (none)
Type: task | Status: assigned
Priority: High | Milestone:
Component: Webpages/Website | Version:
Severity: Normal | Keywords:
Actual Points: | Parent ID:
Points: | Reviewer:
Hello. Please add the below job posting to the website under Chief
Financial and Grants Officer. Thank you!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
January 4, 2018
New Year's Opportunity: Internet Freedom Nonprofit Seeks Experienced Chief
Financial and Grants Officer
Are you looking to use your advanced accounting and leadership skills to
make the world a better place? Do you care about privacy and personal
freedoms? If so, we have just the opportunity for you! The Tor Project,
Inc., is a 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Seattle that provides
the technical infrastructure for privacy protection over the Internet,
helping millions of activists, journalists and others around the world
communicate securely. With paid staff and contractors of around 35
engineers and operational support people, plus many volunteers all over
the world who contribute to our work, the Tor Project is funded in part by
government grants and contracts, as well as by individual, foundation, and
corporate donations. Our mission is “To advance human rights and freedoms
by creating and deploying free and open anonymity and privacy
technologies, supporting their unrestricted availability and use, and
furthering their scientific and popular understanding.”
We are currently seeking an Experienced Chief Financial and Grants
Officer. This senior level position, based in our Seattle headquarters,
will report directly to the Executive Director and will manage the offsite
The Chief Financial and Grants Officer will serve as the Tor Project's
senior grants officer. Grant-related tasks include, but are not limited
• Oversee grants and contracts to ensure compliance with funder
requirements and progress toward annual goals.
• Maintain positive relationships and communications with applicable
• Monitor and track grants through our Granthub software.
• Manage invoicing and billing of federal contracts to ensure full
payment is received.
• Communicate the status of grant activities and progress toward
objectives to stakeholders.
• Send monthly reports to front line managers indicating the current
status of grants worked on by their teams.
• Maintain files and documentation for our federal grants and
contracts to ensure accuracy and compliance.
In addition, the Chief Financial and Grants Officer will serve as the Tor
Project's senior finance officer. Finance-related tasks for this position
include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending
policies and procedures; review and upgrade as needed to ensure accuracy
in accounting activities and compliance with any regulatory changes.
• Monitor and project cash flow.
• Provide oversight to ensure accounts payable and receivables are
coded and prepared correctly.
• Work with outside auditors and CPA firm to furnish requisite data
to ensure timely completion of annual audits and tax filings.
• Work closely with the Executive Director to prepare budgets and
• Track expenditures and income of various programs to ensure
• Send monthly reminders to staff members about filling out their
timesheets and expense reports through Harvest software.
The person we seek should have the following qualities, skills, and
• 5+ years of experience with federal grants and contract
acquisition and management
• 5+ years of experience overseeing a nonprofit organization's
accounting function; other relevant experience may substitute for all or
some of this required experience
• 5+ years of experience working for or with auditors
• Bachelor’s degree in buslness, finance, accounting, or a closely
related field is ideal but not required; advanced graduate degree in one
of the above fields is preferred; CPA license a plus
• Working knowledge of not-for-profit accounting in accordance with
U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Subpart F, of the new
Uniform Grant Guidance (formerly OMB Circular A-133) and appropriate Code
of Federal Regulations
• Advanced skill and experience using QB, Sage (Peachtree), or some
other organizational accounting program
• Must be comfortable working in a paperless office
• Experience creating spreadsheets to be used for predictive
• Alignment with the Tor Project’s mission and a passion for privacy
and encryption technology preferred
• Experience with FOSS (free/open-source software) preferred
• Proficient understanding of and ability to use technology;
willingness and ability to learn and use new technologies
• Conscientious, hard working, and highly organized with superior
attention to detail
• Willingness to seek additional assistance when new challenges
The Tor Project's workforce is smart, passionate, and dedicated.
Experience working with open source communities and/or a commitment to
Internet civil liberties are added pluses for any candidate applying for
Flexible salary, depending on experience. The Tor Project has a
competitive benefits package, including a generous PTO policy; 14 paid
holidays per year (including the week between Christmas and New Year's,
when the office is closed); health, vision, dental, disability, and life
insurance paid in full for employee; flexible work schedule; and
occasional travel opportunities. The Tor Project, Inc., is an equal
opportunity, affirmative action employer.
This is a full-time position based in our friendly office in Pioneer
Square, Seattle, WA. To apply, send a cover letter and your resume to
hr at torproject.org with “Chief Financial and Grants Officer” in the subject
line. Inquiries about whether this job can be done remotely or part-time
will not be answered. No phone calls please!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Comment: GPGTools - https://gpgtools.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Ticket URL: <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24800>
Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki <https://trac.torproject.org/>
The Tor Project: anonymity online
More information about the tor-bugs