[tor-announce] Tor stable release 0.4.7.11

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Thu Nov 10 15:27:09 UTC 2022

Greetings,

We just released the latest stable tor 0.4.7.11. As usual, we strongly
recommend you upgrade.

Announcement: https://forum.torproject.net/t/stable-release-0-4-7-11/5501

ChangeLog:

Changes in version 0.4.7.11 - 2022-11-10
  This version contains several major fixes aimed at helping defend against
  network denial of service. It is also extending drastically the MetricsPort
  for relays to help us gather more internal data to investigate performance
  and attacks.

  We strongly recommend to upgrade to this version especially for Exit relays
  in order to help the network defend against this ongoing DDoS.

  o Directory authority changes (dizum, Faravahar):
    - Change dizum IP address. Closes ticket 40687.
    - Remove Faravahar until its operator, Sina, set it back up online
      outside of Team Cymru network. Closes ticket 40688.

  o Major bugfixes (geoip data):
    - IPFire informed us on August 12th that databases generated after
      (including) August 10th did not have proper ARIN network
      allocations. We are updating the database to use the one generated
      on August 9th, 2022. Fixes bug 40658; bugfix on 0.4.5.13.

  o Major bugfixes (onion service):
    - Set a much higher circuit build timeout for opened client rendezvous
      circuit. Before this, tor would time them out very quickly leading to
      unnecessary retries meaning more load on the network. Fixes bug 40694;
      bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Major bugfixes (OSX):
    - Fix coarse-time computation on Apple platforms (like Mac M1) where
      the Mach absolute time ticks do not correspond directly to
      nanoseconds. Previously, we computed our shift value wrong, which
      led us to give incorrect timing results. Fixes bug 40684; bugfix
      on 0.3.3.1-alpha.

  o Major bugfixes (relay):
    - Improve security of our DNS cache by randomly clipping the TTL
      value. TROVE-2021-009. Fixes bug 40674; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor feature (Mac and iOS build):
    - Change how combine_libs works on Darwin like platforms to make
      sure we don't include any `__.SYMDEF` and `__.SYMDEF SORTED`
      symbols on the archive before we repack and run ${RANLIB} on the
      archive. This fixes a build issue with recent Xcode versions on
      Mac Silicon and iOS. Closes ticket 40683.

  o Minor feature (metrics):
    - Add various congestion control counters to the MetricsPort. Closes
      ticket 40708.

  o Minor feature (performance):
    - Bump the maximum amount of CPU that can be used from 16 to 128. Note
      that NumCPUs torrc option overrides this hardcoded maximum. Fixes bug
      40703; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor feature (relay):
    - Make an hardcoded value for the maximum of per CPU tasks into a
      consensus parameter.
    - Two new consensus parameters are added to control the wait time in
      queue of the onionskins. One of them is the torrc
      MaxOnionQueueDelay options which supersedes the consensus
      parameter. Closes ticket 40704.

  o Minor feature (relay, DoS):
    - Apply circuit creation anti-DoS defenses if the outbound circuit
      max cell queue size is reached too many times. This introduces two
      new consensus parameters to control the queue size limit and
      number of times allowed to go over that limit. Closes ticket 40680.

  o Minor feature (relay, metrics):
    - Add DoS defenses counter to MetricsPort.
    - Add congestion control RTT reset counter to MetricsPort.
    - Add counters to the MetricsPort how many connections, per type,
      are currently opened and how many were created.
    - Add relay flags from the consensus to the MetricsPort.
    - Add total number of opened circuits to MetricsPort.
    - Add total number of streams seen by an Exit to the MetricsPort.
    - Add traffic stats as in number of read/written bytes in total.
    - Related to ticket 40194.

  o Minor features (fallbackdir):
    - Regenerate fallback directories generated on November 10, 2022.

  o Minor features (geoip data):
    - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
      retrieved on 2022/11/10.

  o Minor bugfixes (authorities, sandbox):
    - Allow to write file my-consensus-<flavor-name> to disk when
      sandbox is activated. Fixes bug 40663; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (dirauth):
    - Directory authorities stop voting a consensus "Measured" weight
      for relays with the Authority flag. Now these relays will be
      considered unmeasured, which should reserve their bandwidth for
      their dir auth role and minimize distractions from other roles. In
      place of the "Measured" weight, they now include a
      "MeasuredButAuthority" weight (not used by anything) so the
      bandwidth authority's opinion on this relay can be recorded for
      posterity. Lastly, remove the AuthDirDontVoteOnDirAuthBandwidth
      torrc option which never worked right. Fixes bugs 40698 and 40700;
      bugfix on 0.4.7.2-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (onion service client):
    - A collapsing onion service circuit should be seen as an
      "unreachable" error so it can be retried. Fixes bug 40692; bugfix
      on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (onion service):
    - Make the service retry a rendezvous if the circuit is being
      repurposed for measurements. Fixes bug 40696; bugfix
      on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (relay overload statistics):
    - Count total create cells vs dropped create cells properly, when
      assessing if our fraction of dropped cells is too high. We only
      count non-client circuits in the denominator, but we would include
      client circuits in the numerator, leading to surprising log lines
      claiming that we had dropped more than 100% of incoming create
      cells. Fixes bug 40673; bugfix on 0.4.7.1-alpha.

  o Code simplification and refactoring (bridges):
    - Remove unused code related to ExtPort connection ID. Fixes bug
      40648; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

Cheers!
David

--
hZneJUk5igeV4rJ7+XERfxw3J5MVx71fwVx6lK72yUk=