[tor-announce] Tor 0.4.5.8 is released
nickm at torproject.org
Mon May 10 14:42:36 UTC 2021
(If you are about to reply saying "please take me off this list",
instead please follow these instructions:
If you have trouble, it is probably because you subscribed using a
different address than the one you are trying to unsubscribe with. You
will have to enter the actual email address you used when you
Source code for Tor 0.4.5.8 is now available; you can download the
source code from the download page at
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/. Packages should be available
within the next several weeks, with a new Tor Browser likely next
Today we're also releasing Tor 0.4.6.3-rc: since that one is not a
stable release, it gets announced on tor-talk.
Changes in version 0.4.5.8 - 2021-05-10
Tor 0.4.5.8 fixes several bugs in earlier version, backporting fixes
from the 0.4.6.x series.
o Minor features (compatibility, Linux seccomp sandbox, backport
- Add a workaround to enable the Linux sandbox to work correctly
with Glibc 2.33. This version of Glibc has started using the
fstatat() system call, which previously our sandbox did not allow.
Closes ticket 40382; see the ticket for a discussion of trade-offs.
o Minor features (compilation, backport from 0.4.6.3-rc):
- Make the autoconf script build correctly with autoconf versions
2.70 and later. Closes part of ticket 40335.
o Minor features (fallback directory list, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
- Regenerate the list of fallback directories to contain a new set
of 200 relays. Closes ticket 40265.
o Minor features (geoip data):
- Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
retrieved on 2021/05/07.
o Minor features (onion services):
- Add warning message when connecting to now deprecated v2 onion
services. As announced, Tor 0.4.5.x is the last series that will
support v2 onions. Closes ticket 40373.
o Minor bugfixes (bridge, pluggable transport, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
- Fix a regression that made it impossible start Tor using a bridge
line with a transport name and no fingerprint. Fixes bug 40360;
bugfix on 0.4.5.4-rc.
o Minor bugfixes (build, cross-compilation, backport from 0.4.6.3-rc):
- Allow a custom "ar" for cross-compilation. Our previous build
script had used the $AR environment variable in most places, but
it missed one. Fixes bug 40369; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (channel, DoS, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
- Fix a non-fatal BUG() message due to a too-early free of a string,
when listing a client connection from the DoS defenses subsystem.
Fixes bug 40345; bugfix on 0.4.3.4-rc.
o Minor bugfixes (compiler warnings, backport from 0.4.6.3-rc):
- Fix an indentation problem that led to a warning from GCC 11.1.1.
Fixes bug 40380; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (controller, backport from 0.4.6.1-alpha):
- Fix a "BUG" warning that would appear when a controller chooses
the first hop for a circuit, and that circuit completes. Fixes bug
40285; bugfix on 0.3.2.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (onion service, client, memory leak, backport from
- Fix a bug where an expired cached descriptor could get overwritten
with a new one without freeing it, leading to a memory leak. Fixes
bug 40356; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (testing, BSD, backport from 0.4.6.2-alpha):
- Fix pattern-matching errors when patterns expand to invalid paths
on BSD systems. Fixes bug 40318; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha. Patch by
More information about the tor-announce