[tor-announce] Tor Browser 8.5.5 is released

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Sep 5 14:16:14 UTC 2019

Tor Browser 8.5.5 is now available from the Tor Browser Download page [1]
and also from our distribution directory [2].

    1: https://www.torproject.org/download/
    2: https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/8.5.5/

This release features important security updates [3] to Firefox.

    3: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2019-27/

This release is updating Firefox to 60.9.0esr, Tor to 0.4.1.5 [4], and
NoScript to 11.0.3. This release also includes various bug fixes. On
the Windows side, we should now have support for accessibility tools [5].
On the Android side, we added support for arm64-v8a devices [6].

    4: https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-0415
    5: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27503
    6: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28119

This is expected to be the last release in the 8.5 series: on October 22
we will switch to the 9.0 series, based on Firefox 68ESR.

Note 1: Due to some issue with Google Play's new requirement for 64bit
versions [7], we have not yet been able to publish the Android x86 and
x86_64 versions on Google Play. We hope to be able to fix this in the
next days. In the meantime the x86 version can be downloaded from our
website [8].

    7: https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/64-bit
    8: https://www.torproject.org/download/#android

Note 2: There is an issue with the aarch64 version on Android 9 [9]
causing a crash on every launch. We are working on a fix for this issue.

    9: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31616

The full changelog since Tor Browser 8.5.4 is:

 * All platforms
   * Update Firefox to 60.9.0esr
   * Update Torbutton to 2.1.13
     * Bug 31520: Remove monthly giving banner from Tor Browser
     * Bug 31140: Do not enable IonMonkey on AARCH64
     * Translations update
   * Update NoScript to 11.0.3
     * Bug 26847: NoScript pops up a full-site window for XSS warning
     * Bug 31287: NoScript leaks browser locale
   * Bug 31357: Retire Tom's default obfs4 bridge
 * Windows + OS X + Linux
   * Update Tor to 0.4.1.5
 * Windows
   * Bug 31547: Back out patch for Mozilla's bug 1574980
   * Bug 27503: Provide full support for accessibility tools
   * Bug 30575: Don't allow enterprise policies in Tor Browser
   * Bug 31141: Fix typo in font.system.whitelist
 * Android
   * Bug 28119: Tor Browser for aarch64
 * Build System
   * All platforms