[tor-announce] Tor Browser 8.0.4 is released

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Tue Dec 11 17:25:40 UTC 2018

Tor Browser 8.0.4 is now available from the Tor Browser Project page [1]
and also from our distribution directory [2].

    1: https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html
    2: https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/8.0.4/

This release features important security updates to Firefox.

    4: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2018-30/

Tor Browser 8.0.4 contains updates to Tor (0.3.4.9 [5]), OpenSSL (1.0.2q)
and other bundle components. Additionally, we backported a number of
patches from our alpha series where they got some baking time. The most
important ones are

    5: https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-0349

 - a defense against protocol handler enumeration which should enhance
   our fingerprinting resistance,

 - enabling Stylo for macOS users by bypassing a reproducibility issue
   caused by Rust compilation and

 - setting back the sandboxing level to 5 on Windows (the Firefox default),
   after working around some Tor Launcher interference causing a broken
   Tor Browser experience.

Moreover, we ship an updated donation banner for our year-end donation
campaign.

The full changelog since Tor Browser 8.0.3 is:

 * All platforms
   * Update Firefox to 60.4.0esr
   * Update Tor to 0.3.4.9
   * Update OpenSSL to 1.0.2q
   * Update Torbutton to 2.0.9
     * Bug 28540: Use new text for 2018 donation banner
     * Bug 28515: Use en-US for english Torbutton strings
     * Translations update
   * Update HTTPS Everywhere to 2018.10.31
   * Update NoScript to 10.2.0
 * Bug 1623: Block protocol handler enumeration (backport of fix for #680300)
 * Bug 25794: Disable pointer events
 * Bug 28608: Disable background HTTP response throttling
 * Bug 28185: Add smallerRichard to Tor Browser
 * Windows
   * Bug 26381: about:tor page does not load on first start on Windows
   * Bug 28657: Remove broken FTE bridge from Tor Browser
 * OS X
   * Bug 26263: App icon positioned incorrectly in macOS DMG installer window
   * Bug 26475: Fix Stylo related reproducibility issue
 * Linux
   * Bug 26475: Fix Stylo related reproducibility issue
   * Bug 28657: Remove broken FTE bridge from Tor Browser
 * Build System
   * All Platforms
     * Bug 27218: Generate multiple Tor Browser bundles in parallel