[tor-announce] Tor 0.2.4.26 is released

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Mar 24 12:14:56 UTC 2015

Hello!  I released Tor 0.2.4.26 last week.  This is the formal announcement.

(Per usual practice with non-critical stable releases, I've delayed
the tor-announce announcement to give distributions have a chance to
make packages.  If you are a packager and you didn't notice that,
please let me know and I'll put you on the list of people I notify
extra-early about new releases.)

Tor 0.2.4 is the oldest supported release series.  It will receive
only patches for really serious issues. Most people should consider
upgrading to 0.2.5 or 0.2.6 instead.

You can get the source code for Tor 0.2.4.26 at
   https://dist.torproject.org/

Changes in version 0.2.4.26 - 2015-03-17
  Tor 0.2.4.26 includes an updated list of directory authorities.  It
  also backports a couple of stability and security bugfixes from 0.2.5
  and beyond.

  o Directory authority changes:
    - Remove turtles as a directory authority.
    - Add longclaw as a new (v3) directory authority. This implements
      ticket 13296. This keeps the directory authority count at 9.
    - The directory authority Faravahar has a new IP address. This
      closes ticket 14487.

  o Major bugfixes (exit node stability, also in 0.2.6.3-alpha):
    - Fix an assertion failure that could occur under high DNS load.
      Fixes bug 14129; bugfix on Tor 0.0.7rc1. Found by "jowr";
      diagnosed and fixed by "cypherpunks".
  o Major bugfixes (relay, stability, possible security, also in 0.2.6.4-rc):
    - Fix a bug that could lead to a relay crashing with an assertion
      failure if a buffer of exactly the wrong layout was passed to
      buf_pullup() at exactly the wrong time. Fixes bug 15083; bugfix on
      0.2.0.10-alpha. Patch from 'cypherpunks'.
    - Do not assert if the 'data' pointer on a buffer is advanced to the
      very end of the buffer; log a BUG message instead. Only assert if
      it is past that point. Fixes bug 15083; bugfix on 0.2.0.10-alpha.

  o Minor features (geoip):
    - Update geoip to the March 3 2015 Maxmind GeoLite2 Country database.
    - Update geoip6 to the March 3 2015 Maxmind GeoLite2
      Country database.