Tor 0.2.0.33 is released

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Jan 22 06:17:10 UTC 2009

Tor 0.2.0.33 fixes a variety of bugs that were making relays less useful
to users. It also finally fixes a bug where a relay or client that's
been off for many days would take a long time to bootstrap.

This update also fixes an important security-related bug reported by
Ilja van Sprundel. You should upgrade. (We'll send out more details
about the bug once people have had some time to upgrade.)

https://www.torproject.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.2.0.33 - 2009-01-21
  o Security fixes:
    - Fix a heap-corruption bug that may be remotely triggerable on
      some platforms. Reported by Ilja van Sprundel.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - When a stream at an exit relay is in state "resolving" or
      "connecting" and it receives an "end" relay cell, the exit relay
      would silently ignore the end cell and not close the stream. If
      the client never closes the circuit, then the exit relay never
      closes the TCP connection. Bug introduced in Tor 0.1.2.1-alpha;
      reported by "wood".
    - When sending CREATED cells back for a given circuit, use a 64-bit
      connection ID to find the right connection, rather than an addr:port
      combination. Now that we can have multiple OR connections between
      the same ORs, it is no longer possible to use addr:port to uniquely
      identify a connection.
    - Bridge relays that had DirPort set to 0 would stop fetching
      descriptors shortly after startup, and then briefly resume
      after a new bandwidth test and/or after publishing a new bridge
      descriptor. Bridge users that try to bootstrap from them would
      get a recent networkstatus but would get descriptors from up to
      18 hours earlier, meaning most of the descriptors were obsolete
      already. Reported by Tas; bugfix on 0.2.0.13-alpha.
    - Prevent bridge relays from serving their 'extrainfo' document
      to anybody who asks, now that extrainfo docs include potentially
      sensitive aggregated client geoip summaries. Bugfix on
      0.2.0.13-alpha.
    - If the cached networkstatus consensus is more than five days old,
      discard it rather than trying to use it. In theory it could be
      useful because it lists alternate directory mirrors, but in practice
      it just means we spend many minutes trying directory mirrors that
      are long gone from the network. Also discard router descriptors as
      we load them if they are more than five days old, since the onion
      key is probably wrong by now. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x. Fixes bug 887.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Do not mark smartlist_bsearch_idx() function as ATTR_PURE. This bug
      could make gcc generate non-functional binary search code. Bugfix
      on 0.2.0.10-alpha.
    - Build correctly on platforms without socklen_t.
    - Compile without warnings on solaris.
    - Avoid potential crash on internal error during signature collection.
      Fixes bug 864. Patch from rovv.
    - Correct handling of possible malformed authority signing key
      certificates with internal signature types. Fixes bug 880.
      Bugfix on 0.2.0.3-alpha.
    - Fix a hard-to-trigger resource leak when logging credential status.
      CID 349.
    - When we can't initialize DNS because the network is down, do not
      automatically stop Tor from starting. Instead, we retry failed
      dns_inits() every 10 minutes, and change the exit policy to reject
      *:* until one succeeds. Fixes bug 691.
    - Use 64 bits instead of 32 bits for connection identifiers used with
      the controller protocol, to greatly reduce risk of identifier reuse.
    - When we're choosing an exit node for a circuit, and we have
      no pending streams, choose a good general exit rather than one that
      supports "all the pending streams". Bugfix on 0.1.1.x. Fix by rovv.
    - Fix another case of assuming, when a specific exit is requested,
      that we know more than the user about what hosts it allows.
      Fixes one case of bug 752. Patch from rovv.
    - Clip the MaxCircuitDirtiness config option to a minimum of 10
      seconds. Warn the user if lower values are given in the
      configuration. Bugfix on 0.1.0.1-rc. Patch by Sebastian.
    - Clip the CircuitBuildTimeout to a minimum of 30 seconds. Warn the
      user if lower values are given in the configuration. Bugfix on
      0.1.1.17-rc. Patch by Sebastian.
    - Fix a memory leak when we decline to add a v2 rendezvous descriptor to
      the cache because we already had a v0 descriptor with the same ID.
      Bugfix on 0.2.0.18-alpha.
    - Fix a race condition when freeing keys shared between main thread
      and CPU workers that could result in a memory leak. Bugfix on
      0.1.0.1-rc. Fixes bug 889.
    - Send a valid END cell back when a client tries to connect to a
      nonexistent hidden service port. Bugfix on 0.1.2.15. Fixes bug
      840. Patch from rovv.
    - Check which hops rendezvous stream cells are associated with to
      prevent possible guess-the-streamid injection attacks from
      intermediate hops. Fixes another case of bug 446. Based on patch
      from rovv.
    - If a broken client asks a non-exit router to connect somewhere,
      do not even do the DNS lookup before rejecting the connection.
      Fixes another case of bug 619. Patch from rovv.
    - When a relay gets a create cell it can't decrypt (e.g. because it's
      using the wrong onion key), we were dropping it and letting the
      client time out. Now actually answer with a destroy cell. Fixes
      bug 904. Bugfix on 0.0.2pre8.

  o Minor bugfixes (hidden services):
    - Do not throw away existing introduction points on SIGHUP. Bugfix on
      0.0.6pre1. Patch by Karsten. Fixes bug 874.

  o Minor features:
    - Report the case where all signatures in a detached set are rejected
      differently than the case where there is an error handling the
      detached set.
    - When we realize that another process has modified our cached
      descriptors, print out a more useful error message rather than
      triggering an assertion. Fixes bug 885. Patch from Karsten.
    - Implement the 0x20 hack to better resist DNS poisoning: set the
      case on outgoing DNS requests randomly, and reject responses that do
      not match the case correctly. This logic can be disabled with the
      ServerDNSRamdomizeCase setting, if you are using one of the 0.3%
      of servers that do not reliably preserve case in replies. See
      "Increased DNS Forgery Resistance through 0x20-Bit Encoding"
      for more info.
    - Check DNS replies for more matching fields to better resist DNS
      poisoning.
    - Never use OpenSSL compression: it wastes RAM and CPU trying to
      compress cells, which are basically all encrypted, compressed, or
      both.