Tor 0.1.2.19 is released

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Jan 19 18:20:58 UTC 2008

Tor 0.1.2.19 fixes a huge memory leak on exit relays, makes the default
exit policy a little bit more conservative so it's safer to run an exit
relay on a home system, and fixes a variety of smaller issues.

https://www.torproject.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.1.2.19 - 2008-01-17
  o Security fixes:
    - Exit policies now reject connections that are addressed to a
      relay's public (external) IP address too, unless
      ExitPolicyRejectPrivate is turned off. We do this because too
      many relays are running nearby to services that trust them based
      on network address.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - When the clock jumps forward a lot, do not allow the bandwidth
      buckets to become negative. Fixes bug 544.
    - Fix a memory leak on exit relays; we were leaking a cached_resolve_t
      on every successful resolve. Reported by Mike Perry.
    - Purge old entries from the "rephist" database and the hidden
      service descriptor database even when DirPort is zero.
    - Stop thinking that 0.1.2.x directory servers can handle "begin_dir"
      requests. Should ease bugs 406 and 419 where 0.1.2.x relays are
      crashing or mis-answering these requests.
    - When we decide to send a 503 response to a request for servers, do
      not then also send the server descriptors: this defeats the whole
      purpose. Fixes bug 539.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Changing the ExitPolicyRejectPrivate setting should cause us to
      rebuild our server descriptor.
    - Fix handling of hex nicknames when answering controller requests for
      networkstatus by name, or when deciding whether to warn about
      unknown routers in a config option. (Patch from mwenge.)
    - Fix a couple of hard-to-trigger autoconf problems that could result
      in really weird results on platforms whose sys/types.h files define
      nonstandard integer types.
    - Don't try to create the datadir when running --verify-config or
      --hash-password. Resolves bug 540.
    - If we were having problems getting a particular descriptor from the
      directory caches, and then we learned about a new descriptor for
      that router, we weren't resetting our failure count. Reported
      by lodger.
    - Although we fixed bug 539 (where servers would send HTTP status 503
      that haven't upgraded. Therefore, make clients parse such bodies
      when they receive them.
    - Run correctly on systems where rlim_t is larger than unsigned long.
      This includes some 64-bit systems.
    - Run correctly on platforms (like some versions of OS X 10.5) where
      the real limit for number of open files is OPEN_FILES, not rlim_max
      from getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILES).
    - Avoid a spurious free on base64 failure.
    - Avoid segfaults on certain complex invocations of
      router_get_by_hexdigest().
    - Fix rare bug on REDIRECTSTREAM control command when called with no
      port set: it could erroneously report an error when none had
      happened.