Tor 0.2.0.32 is released
arma at mit.edu
Thu Dec 4 15:37:28 UTC 2008
Tor 0.2.0.32 fixes a major security problem in Debian and Ubuntu packages
(and maybe other packages) noticed by Theo de Raadt, fixes a smaller
security flaw that might allow an attacker to access local services,
further improves hidden service performance, and fixes a variety of
Or use our new https://www.torproject.org/easy-download page.
Changes in version 0.2.0.32 - 2008-11-20
o Security fixes:
- The "User" and "Group" config options did not clear the
supplementary group entries for the Tor process. The "User" option
is now more robust, and we now set the groups to the specified
user's primary group. The "Group" option is now ignored. For more
detailed logging on credential switching, set CREDENTIAL_LOG_LEVEL
in common/compat.c to LOG_NOTICE or higher. Patch by Jacob Appelbaum
and Steven Murdoch. Bugfix on 0.0.2pre14. Fixes bug 848 and 857.
- The "ClientDNSRejectInternalAddresses" config option wasn't being
consistently obeyed: if an exit relay refuses a stream because its
exit policy doesn't allow it, we would remember what IP address
the relay said the destination address resolves to, even if it's
an internal IP address. Bugfix on 0.2.0.7-alpha; patch by rovv.
o Major bugfixes:
- Fix a DOS opportunity during the voting signature collection process
at directory authorities. Spotted by rovv. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
o Major bugfixes (hidden services):
- When fetching v0 and v2 rendezvous service descriptors in parallel,
we were failing the whole hidden service request when the v0
descriptor fetch fails, even if the v2 fetch is still pending and
might succeed. Similarly, if the last v2 fetch fails, we were
failing the whole hidden service request even if a v0 fetch is
still pending. Fixes bug 814. Bugfix on 0.2.0.10-alpha.
- When extending a circuit to a hidden service directory to upload a
rendezvous descriptor using a BEGIN_DIR cell, almost 1/6 of all
requests failed, because the router descriptor has not been
downloaded yet. In these cases, do not attempt to upload the
rendezvous descriptor, but wait until the router descriptor is
downloaded and retry. Likewise, do not attempt to fetch a rendezvous
descriptor from a hidden service directory for which the router
descriptor has not yet been downloaded. Fixes bug 767. Bugfix
o Minor bugfixes:
- Fix several infrequent memory leaks spotted by Coverity.
- When testing for libevent functions, set the LDFLAGS variable
correctly. Found by Riastradh.
- Avoid a bug where the FastFirstHopPK 0 option would keep Tor from
bootstrapping with tunneled directory connections. Bugfix on
0.1.2.5-alpha. Fixes bug 797. Found by Erwin Lam.
- When asked to connect to A.B.exit:80, if we don't know the IP for A
and we know that server B rejects most-but-not all connections to
port 80, we would previously reject the connection. Now, we assume
the user knows what they were asking for. Fixes bug 752. Bugfix
on 0.0.9rc5. Diagnosed by BarkerJr.
- If we overrun our per-second write limits a little, count this as
having used up our write allocation for the second, and choke
outgoing directory writes. Previously, we had only counted this when
we had met our limits precisely. Fixes bug 824. Patch from by rovv.
Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
- Remove the old v2 directory authority 'lefkada' from the default
list. It has been gone for many months.
- Stop doing unaligned memory access that generated bus errors on
sparc64. Bugfix on 0.2.0.10-alpha. Fixes bug 862.
- Make USR2 log-level switch take effect immediately. Bugfix on
o Minor bugfixes (controller):
- Make DNS resolved events into "CLOSED", not "FAILED". Bugfix on
0.1.2.5-alpha. Fix by Robert Hogan. Resolves bug 807.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
More information about the tor-announce