Tor 0.1.2.15 is released

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Jul 23 10:08:37 UTC 2007

Tor 0.1.2.15 fixes several crash bugs, fixes some anonymity-related
problems, fixes compilation on BSD, and fixes a variety of other
bugs. Everybody should upgrade.

https://tor.eff.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.1.2.15 - 2007-07-17
  o Major bugfixes (compilation):
    - Fix compile on FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD. Oops.

  o Major bugfixes (crashes):
    - Try even harder not to dereference the first character after
      an mmap(). Reported by lodger.
    - Fix a crash bug in directory authorities when we re-number the
      routerlist while inserting a new router.
    - When the cached-routers file is an even multiple of the page size,
      don't run off the end and crash. (Fixes bug 455; based on idea
      from croup.)
    - Fix eventdns.c behavior on Solaris: It is critical to include
      orconfig.h _before_ sys/types.h, so that we can get the expected
      definition of _FILE_OFFSET_BITS.

  o Major bugfixes (security):
    - Fix a possible buffer overrun when using BSD natd support. Bug
      found by croup.
    - When sending destroy cells from a circuit's origin, don't include
      the reason for tearing down the circuit. The spec says we didn't,
      and now we actually don't. Reported by lodger.
    - Keep streamids from different exits on a circuit separate. This
      bug may have allowed other routers on a given circuit to inject
      cells into streams. Reported by lodger; fixes bug 446.
    - If there's a never-before-connected-to guard node in our list,
      never choose any guards past it. This way we don't expand our
      guard list unless we need to.

  o Minor bugfixes (guard nodes):
    - Weight guard selection by bandwidth, so that low-bandwidth nodes
      don't get overused as guards.

  o Minor bugfixes (directory):
    - Correctly count the number of authorities that recommend each
      version. Previously, we were under-counting by 1.
    - Fix a potential crash bug when we load many server descriptors at
      once and some of them make others of them obsolete. Fixes bug 458.

  o Minor bugfixes (hidden services):
    - Stop tearing down the whole circuit when the user asks for a
      connection to a port that the hidden service didn't configure.
      Resolves bug 444.

  o Minor bugfixes (misc):
    - On Windows, we were preventing other processes from reading
      cached-routers while Tor was running. Reported by janbar.
    - Fix a possible (but very unlikely) bug in picking routers by
      bandwidth. Add a log message to confirm that it is in fact
      unlikely. Patch from lodger.
    - Backport a couple of memory leak fixes.
    - Backport miscellaneous cosmetic bugfixes.