Tor 0.1.2.13 is released

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Apr 25 17:03:42 UTC 2007

Tor 0.1.2.13, the first stable release of the 0.1.2.x branch, is
finally ready.

This release features some major anonymity fixes, such as safer path
selection; better client performance; faster bootstrapping, better address
detection, and better DNS support for servers; write limiting as well
as read limiting to make servers easier to run; and a huge pile of other
features and bug fixes. The bundles also ship with Vidalia 0.0.11.

https://tor.eff.org/download.html

Tor 0.1.2.13 is released in memory of Rob Levin (1955-2006), aka lilo
of the Freenode IRC network, remembering his patience and vision for
free speech on the Internet.

Changes in version 0.1.2.13 - 2007-04-24
  o Major features, client performance:
    - Weight directory requests by advertised bandwidth. Now we can
      let servers enable write limiting but still allow most clients to
      succeed at their directory requests. (We still ignore weights when
      choosing a directory authority; I hope this is a feature.)
    - Stop overloading exit nodes -- avoid choosing them for entry or
      middle hops when the total bandwidth available from non-exit nodes
      is much higher than the total bandwidth available from exit nodes.
    - Rather than waiting a fixed amount of time between retrying
      application connections, we wait only 10 seconds for the first,
      10 seconds for the second, and 15 seconds for each retry after
      that. Hopefully this will improve the expected user experience.
    - Sometimes we didn't bother sending a RELAY_END cell when an attempt
      to open a stream fails; now we do in more cases. This should
      make clients able to find a good exit faster in some cases, since
      unhandleable requests will now get an error rather than timing out.

  o Major features, client functionality:
    - Implement BEGIN_DIR cells, so we can connect to a directory
      server via TLS to do encrypted directory requests rather than
      plaintext. Enable via the TunnelDirConns and PreferTunneledDirConns
      config options if you like. For now, this feature only works if
      you already have a descriptor for the destination dirserver.
    - Add support for transparent application connections: this basically
      bundles the functionality of trans-proxy-tor into the Tor
      mainline. Now hosts with compliant pf/netfilter implementations
      can redirect TCP connections straight to Tor without diverting
      through SOCKS. (Based on patch from tup.)
    - Add support for using natd; this allows FreeBSDs earlier than
      5.1.2 to have ipfw send connections through Tor without using
      SOCKS. (Patch from Zajcev Evgeny with tweaks from tup.)

  o Major features, servers:
    - Setting up a dyndns name for your server is now optional: servers
      with no hostname or IP address will learn their IP address by
      asking the directory authorities. This code only kicks in when you
      would normally have exited with a "no address" error. Nothing's
      authenticated, so use with care.
    - Directory servers now spool server descriptors, v1 directories,
      and v2 networkstatus objects to buffers as needed rather than en
      masse. They also mmap the cached-routers files. These steps save
      lots of memory.
    - Stop requiring clients to have well-formed certificates, and stop
      checking nicknames in certificates. (Clients have certificates so
      that they can look like Tor servers, but in the future we might want
      to allow them to look like regular TLS clients instead. Nicknames
      in certificates serve no purpose other than making our protocol
      easier to recognize on the wire.) Implements proposal 106.

  o Improvements on DNS support:
    - Add "eventdns" asynchronous dns library originally based on code
      from Adam Langley. Now we can discard the old rickety dnsworker
      concept, and support a wider variety of DNS functions. Allows
      multithreaded builds on NetBSD and OpenBSD again.
    - Add server-side support for "reverse" DNS lookups (using PTR
      records so clients can determine the canonical hostname for a given
      IPv4 address). Only supported by servers using eventdns; servers
      now announce in their descriptors if they don't support eventdns.
    - Workaround for name servers (like Earthlink's) that hijack failing
      DNS requests and replace the no-such-server answer with a "helpful"
      redirect to an advertising-driven search portal. Also work around
      DNS hijackers who "helpfully" decline to hijack known-invalid
      RFC2606 addresses. Config option "ServerDNSDetectHijacking 0"
      lets you turn it off.
    - Servers now check for the case when common DNS requests are going to
      wildcarded addresses (i.e. all getting the same answer), and change
      their exit policy to reject *:* if it's happening.
    - When asked to resolve a hostname, don't use non-exit servers unless
      requested to do so. This allows servers with broken DNS to be
      useful to the network.
    - Start passing "ipv4" hints to getaddrinfo(), so servers don't do
      useless IPv6 DNS resolves.
    - Specify and implement client-side SOCKS5 interface for reverse DNS
      lookups (see doc/socks-extensions.txt). Also cache them.
    - When we change nameservers or IP addresses, reset and re-launch
      our tests for DNS hijacking.

  o Improvements on reachability testing:
    - Servers send out a burst of long-range padding cells once they've
      established that they're reachable. Spread them over 4 circuits,
      so hopefully a few will be fast. This exercises bandwidth and
      bootstraps them into the directory more quickly.
    - When we find our DirPort to be reachable, publish a new descriptor
      so we'll tell the world (reported by pnx).
    - Directory authorities now only decide that routers are reachable
      if their identity keys are as expected.
    - Do DirPort reachability tests less often, since a single test
      chews through many circuits before giving up.
    - Avoid some false positives during reachability testing: don't try
      to test via a server that's on the same /24 network as us.
    - Start publishing one minute or so after we find our ORPort
      to be reachable. This will help reduce the number of descriptors
      we have for ourselves floating around, since it's quite likely
      other things (e.g. DirPort) will change during that minute too.
    - Routers no longer try to rebuild long-term connections to directory
      authorities, and directory authorities no longer try to rebuild
      long-term connections to all servers. We still don't hang up
      connections in these two cases though -- we need to look at it
      more carefully to avoid flapping, and we likely need to wait til
      0.1.1.x is obsolete.

  o Improvements on rate limiting:
    - Enable write limiting as well as read limiting. Now we sacrifice
      capacity if we're pushing out lots of directory traffic, rather
      than overrunning the user's intended bandwidth limits.
    - Include TLS overhead when counting bandwidth usage; previously, we
      would count only the bytes sent over TLS, but not the bytes used
      to send them.
    - Servers decline directory requests much more aggressively when
      they're low on bandwidth. Otherwise they end up queueing more and
      more directory responses, which can't be good for latency.
    - But never refuse directory requests from local addresses.
    - Be willing to read or write on local connections (e.g. controller
      connections) even when the global rate limiting buckets are empty.
    - Flush local controller connection buffers periodically as we're
      writing to them, so we avoid queueing 4+ megabytes of data before
      trying to flush.
    - Revise and clean up the torrc.sample that we ship with; add
      a section for BandwidthRate and BandwidthBurst.

  o Major features, NT services:
    - Install as NT_AUTHORITY\LocalService rather than as SYSTEM; add a
      command-line flag so that admins can override the default by saying
      "tor --service install --user "SomeUser"". This will not affect
      existing installed services. Also, warn the user that the service
      will look for its configuration file in the service user's
      %appdata% directory. (We can't do the "hardwire the user's appdata
      directory" trick any more, since we may not have read access to that
      directory.)
    - Support running the Tor service with a torrc not in the same
      directory as tor.exe and default to using the torrc located in
      the %appdata%\Tor\ of the user who installed the service. Patch
      from Matt Edman.
    - Add an --ignore-missing-torrc command-line option so that we can
      get the "use sensible defaults if the configuration file doesn't
      exist" behavior even when specifying a torrc location on the
      command line.
    - When stopping an NT service, wait up to 10 sec for it to actually
      stop. (Patch from Matt Edman; resolves bug 295.)

  o Directory authority improvements:
    - Stop letting hibernating or obsolete servers affect uptime and
      bandwidth cutoffs.
    - Stop listing hibernating servers in the v1 directory.
    - Authorities no longer recommend exits as guards if this would shift
      too much load to the exit nodes.
    - Authorities now specify server versions in networkstatus. This adds
      about 2% to the size of compressed networkstatus docs, and allows
      clients to tell which servers support BEGIN_DIR and which don't.
      The implementation is forward-compatible with a proposed future
      protocol version scheme not tied to Tor versions.
    - DirServer configuration lines now have an orport= option so
      clients can open encrypted tunnels to the authorities without
      having downloaded their descriptors yet. Enabled for moria1,
      moria2, tor26, and lefkada now in the default configuration.
    - Add a BadDirectory flag to network status docs so that authorities
      can (eventually) tell clients about caches they believe to be
      broken. Not used yet.
    - Allow authorities to list nodes as bad exits in their
      approved-routers file by fingerprint or by address. If most
      authorities set a BadExit flag for a server, clients don't think
      of it as a general-purpose exit. Clients only consider authorities
      that advertise themselves as listing bad exits.
    - Patch from Steve Hildrey: Generate network status correctly on
      non-versioning dirservers.
    - Have directory authorities allow larger amounts of drift in uptime
      without replacing the server descriptor: previously, a server that
      restarted every 30 minutes could have 48 "interesting" descriptors
      per day.
    - Reserve the nickname "Unnamed" for routers that can't pick
      a hostname: any router can call itself Unnamed; directory
      authorities will never allocate Unnamed to any particular router;
      clients won't believe that any router is the canonical Unnamed.

  o Directory mirrors and clients:
    - Discard any v1 directory info that's over 1 month old (for
      directories) or over 1 week old (for running-routers lists).
    - Clients track responses with status 503 from dirservers. After a
      dirserver has given us a 503, we try not to use it until an hour has
      gone by, or until we have no dirservers that haven't given us a 503.
    - When we get a 503 from a directory, and we're not a server, we no
      longer count the failure against the total number of failures
      allowed for the object we're trying to download.
    - Prepare for servers to publish descriptors less often: never
      discard a descriptor simply for being too old until either it is
      recommended by no authorities, or until we get a better one for
      the same router. Make caches consider retaining old recommended
      routers for even longer.
    - Directory servers now provide 'Pragma: no-cache' and 'Expires'
      headers for content, so that we can work better in the presence of
      caching HTTP proxies.
    - Stop fetching descriptors if you're not a dir mirror and you
      haven't tried to establish any circuits lately. (This currently
      causes some dangerous behavior, because when you start up again
      you'll use your ancient server descriptors.)

  o Major fixes, crashes:
    - Stop crashing when the controller asks us to resetconf more than
      one config option at once. (Vidalia 0.0.11 does this.)
    - Fix a longstanding obscure crash bug that could occur when we run
      out of DNS worker processes, if we're not using eventdns. (Resolves
      bug 390.)
    - Fix an assert that could trigger if a controller quickly set then
      cleared EntryNodes. (Bug found by Udo van den Heuvel.)
    - Avoid crash when telling controller about stream-status and a
      stream is detached.
    - Avoid sending junk to controllers or segfaulting when a controller
      uses EVENT_NEW_DESC with verbose nicknames.
    - Stop triggering asserts if the controller tries to extend hidden
      service circuits (reported by mwenge).
    - If we start a server with ClientOnly 1, then set ClientOnly to 0
      and hup, stop triggering an assert based on an empty onion_key.
    - Mask out all signals in sub-threads; only the libevent signal
      handler should be processing them. This should prevent some crashes
      on some machines using pthreads. (Patch from coderman.)
    - Disable kqueue on OS X 10.3 and earlier, to fix bug 371.

  o Major fixes, anonymity/security:
    - Automatically avoid picking more than one node from the same
      /16 network when constructing a circuit. Add an
      "EnforceDistinctSubnets" option to let people disable it if they
      want to operate private test networks on a single subnet.
    - When generating bandwidth history, round down to the nearest
      1k. When storing accounting data, round up to the nearest 1k.
    - When we're running as a server, remember when we last rotated onion
      keys, so that we will rotate keys once they're a week old even if
      we never stay up for a week ourselves.
    - If a client asked for a server by name, and there's a named server
      in our network-status but we don't have its descriptor yet, we
      could return an unnamed server instead.
    - Reject (most) attempts to use Tor circuits with length one. (If
      many people start using Tor as a one-hop proxy, exit nodes become
      a more attractive target for compromise.)
    - Just because your DirPort is open doesn't mean people should be
      able to remotely teach you about hidden service descriptors. Now
      only accept rendezvous posts if you've got HSAuthoritativeDir set.
    - Fix a potential race condition in the rpm installer. Found by
      Stefan Nordhausen.
    - Do not log IPs with TLS failures for incoming TLS
      connections. (Fixes bug 382.)

  o Major fixes, other:
    - If our system clock jumps back in time, don't publish a negative
      uptime in the descriptor.
    - When we start during an accounting interval before it's time to wake
      up, remember to wake up at the correct time. (May fix bug 342.)
    - Previously, we would cache up to 16 old networkstatus documents
      indefinitely, if they came from nontrusted authorities. Now we
      discard them if they are more than 10 days old.
    - When we have a state file we cannot parse, tell the user and
      move it aside. Now we avoid situations where the user starts
      Tor in 1904, Tor writes a state file with that timestamp in it,
      the user fixes her clock, and Tor refuses to start.
    - Publish a new descriptor after we hup/reload. This is important
      if our config has changed such that we'll want to start advertising
      our DirPort now, etc.
    - If we are using an exit enclave and we can't connect, e.g. because
      its webserver is misconfigured to not listen on localhost, then
      back off and try connecting from somewhere else before we fail.

  o New config options or behaviors:
    - When EntryNodes are configured, rebuild the guard list to contain,
      in order: the EntryNodes that were guards before; the rest of the
      EntryNodes; the nodes that were guards before.
    - Do not warn when individual nodes in the configuration's EntryNodes,
      ExitNodes, etc are down: warn only when all possible nodes
      are down. (Fixes bug 348.)
    - Put a lower-bound on MaxAdvertisedBandwidth.
    - Start using the state file to store bandwidth accounting data:
      the bw_accounting file is now obsolete. We'll keep generating it
      for a while for people who are still using 0.1.2.4-alpha.
    - Try to batch changes to the state file so that we do as few
      disk writes as possible while still storing important things in
      a timely fashion.
    - The state file and the bw_accounting file get saved less often when
      the AvoidDiskWrites config option is set.
    - Make PIDFile work on Windows.
    - Add internal descriptions for a bunch of configuration options:
      accessible via controller interface and in comments in saved
      options files.
    - Reject *:563 (NNTPS) in the default exit policy. We already reject
      NNTP by default, so this seems like a sensible addition.
    - Clients now reject hostnames with invalid characters. This should
      avoid some inadvertent info leaks. Add an option
      AllowNonRFC953Hostnames to disable this behavior, in case somebody
      is running a private network with hosts called @, !, and #.
    - Check for addresses with invalid characters at the exit as well,
      and warn less verbosely when they fail. You can override this by
      setting ServerDNSAllowNonRFC953Addresses to 1.
    - Remove some options that have been deprecated since at least
      0.1.0.x: AccountingMaxKB, LogFile, DebugLogFile, LogLevel, and
      SysLog. Use AccountingMax instead of AccountingMaxKB, and use Log
      to set log options. Mark PathlenCoinWeight as obsolete.
    - Stop accepting certain malformed ports in configured exit policies.
    - When the user uses bad syntax in the Log config line, stop
      suggesting other bad syntax as a replacement.
    - Add new config option "ResolvConf" to let the server operator
      choose an alternate resolve.conf file when using eventdns.
    - If one of our entry guards is on the ExcludeNodes list, or the
      directory authorities don't think it's a good guard, treat it as
      if it were unlisted: stop using it as a guard, and throw it off
      the guards list if it stays that way for a long time.
    - Allow directory authorities to be marked separately as authorities
      for the v1 directory protocol, the v2 directory protocol, and
      as hidden service directories, to make it easier to retire old
      authorities. V1 authorities should set "HSAuthoritativeDir 1"
      to continue being hidden service authorities too.
    - Remove 8888 as a LongLivedPort, and add 6697 (IRCS).
    - Make TrackExitHosts case-insensitive, and fix the behavior of
      ".suffix" TrackExitHosts items to avoid matching in the middle of
      an address.
    - New DirPort behavior: if you have your dirport set, you download
      descriptors aggressively like a directory mirror, whether or not
      your ORPort is set.

  o Docs:
    - Create a new file ReleaseNotes which was the old ChangeLog. The
      new ChangeLog file now includes the notes for all development
      versions too.
    - Add a new address-spec.txt document to describe our special-case
      addresses: .exit, .onion, and .noconnnect.
    - Fork the v1 directory protocol into its own spec document,
      and mark dir-spec.txt as the currently correct (v2) spec.

  o Packaging, porting, and contrib
    - "tor --verify-config" now exits with -1(255) or 0 depending on
      whether the config options are bad or good.
    - The Debian package now uses --verify-config when (re)starting,
      to distinguish configuration errors from other errors.
    - Adapt a patch from goodell to let the contrib/exitlist script
      take arguments rather than require direct editing.
    - Prevent the contrib/exitlist script from printing the same
      result more than once.
    - Add support to tor-resolve tool for reverse lookups and SOCKS5.
    - In the hidden service example in torrc.sample, stop recommending
      esoteric and discouraged hidden service options.
    - Patch from Michael Mohr to contrib/cross.sh, so it checks more
      values before failing, and always enables eventdns.
    - Try to detect Windows correctly when cross-compiling.
    - Libevent-1.2 exports, but does not define in its headers, strlcpy.
      Try to fix this in configure.in by checking for most functions
      before we check for libevent.
    - Update RPMs to require libevent 1.2.
    - Experimentally re-enable kqueue on OSX when using libevent 1.1b
      or later. Log when we are doing this, so we can diagnose it when
      it fails. (Also, recommend libevent 1.1b for kqueue and
      win32 methods; deprecate libevent 1.0b harder; make libevent
      recommendation system saner.)
    - Build with recent (1.3+) libevents on platforms that do not
      define the nonstandard types "u_int8_t" and friends.
    - Remove architecture from OS X builds. The official builds are
      now universal binaries.
    - Run correctly on OS X platforms with case-sensitive filesystems.
    - Correctly set maximum connection limit on Cygwin. (This time
      for sure!)
    - Start compiling on MinGW on Windows (patches from Mike Chiussi
      and many others).
    - Start compiling on MSVC6 on Windows (patches from Frediano Ziglio).
    - Finally fix the openssl warnings from newer gccs that believe that
      ignoring a return value is okay, but casting a return value and
      then ignoring it is a sign of madness.
    - On architectures where sizeof(int)>4, still clamp declarable
      bandwidth to INT32_MAX.

  o Minor features, controller:
    - Warn the user when an application uses the obsolete binary v0
      control protocol. We're planning to remove support for it during
      the next development series, so it's good to give people some
      advance warning.
    - Add STREAM_BW events to report per-entry-stream bandwidth
      use. (Patch from Robert Hogan.)
    - Rate-limit SIGNEWNYM signals in response to controllers that
      impolitely generate them for every single stream. (Patch from
      mwenge; closes bug 394.)
    - Add a REMAP status to stream events to note that a stream's
      address has changed because of a cached address or a MapAddress
      directive.
    - Make REMAP stream events have a SOURCE (cache or exit), and
      make them generated in every case where we get a successful
      connected or resolved cell.
    - Track reasons for OR connection failure; make these reasons
      available via the controller interface. (Patch from Mike Perry.)
    - Add a SOCKS_BAD_HOSTNAME client status event so controllers
      can learn when clients are sending malformed hostnames to Tor.
    - Specify and implement some of the controller status events.
    - Have GETINFO dir/status/* work on hosts with DirPort disabled.
    - Reimplement GETINFO so that info/names stays in sync with the
      actual keys.
    - Implement "GETINFO fingerprint".
    - Implement "SETEVENTS GUARD" so controllers can get updates on
      entry guard status as it changes.
    - Make all connections to addresses of the form ".noconnect"
      immediately get closed. This lets application/controller combos
      successfully test whether they're talking to the same Tor by
      watching for STREAM events.
    - Add a REASON field to CIRC events; for backward compatibility, this
      field is sent only to controllers that have enabled the extended
      event format. Also, add additional reason codes to explain why
      a given circuit has been destroyed or truncated. (Patches from
      Mike Perry)
    - Add a REMOTE_REASON field to extended CIRC events to tell the
      controller why a remote OR told us to close a circuit.
    - Stream events also now have REASON and REMOTE_REASON fields,
      working much like those for circuit events.
    - There's now a GETINFO ns/... field so that controllers can ask Tor
      about the current status of a router.
    - A new event type "NS" to inform a controller when our opinion of
      a router's status has changed.
    - Add a GETINFO events/names and GETINFO features/names so controllers
      can tell which events and features are supported.
    - A new CLEARDNSCACHE signal to allow controllers to clear the
      client-side DNS cache without expiring circuits.
    - Fix CIRC controller events so that controllers can learn the
      identity digests of non-Named servers used in circuit paths.
    - Let controllers ask for more useful identifiers for servers. Instead
      of learning identity digests for un-Named servers and nicknames
      for Named servers, the new identifiers include digest, nickname,
      and indication of Named status. Off by default; see control-spec.txt
      for more information.
    - Add a "getinfo address" controller command so it can display Tor's
      best guess to the user.
    - New controller event to alert the controller when our server
      descriptor has changed.
    - Give more meaningful errors on controller authentication failure.
    - Export the default exit policy via the control port, so controllers
      don't need to guess what it is / will be later.

  o Minor bugfixes, controller:
    - When creating a circuit via the controller, send a 'launched'
      event when we're done, so we follow the spec better.
    - Correct the control spec to match how the code actually responds
      to 'getinfo addr-mappings/*'. Reported by daejees.
    - The control spec described a GUARDS event, but the code
      implemented a GUARD event. Standardize on GUARD, but let people
      ask for GUARDS too. Reported by daejees.
    - Give the controller END_STREAM_REASON_DESTROY events _before_ we
      clear the corresponding on_circuit variable, and remember later
      that we don't need to send a redundant CLOSED event. (Resolves part
      3 of bug 367.)
    - Report events where a resolve succeeded or where we got a socks
      protocol error correctly, rather than calling both of them
      "INTERNAL".
    - Change reported stream target addresses to IP consistently when
      we finally get the IP from an exit node.
    - Send log messages to the controller even if they happen to be very
      long.
    - Flush ERR-level controller status events just like we currently
      flush ERR-level log events, so that a Tor shutdown doesn't prevent
      the controller from learning about current events.
    - Report the circuit number correctly in STREAM CLOSED events. Bug
      reported by Mike Perry.
    - Do not report bizarre values for results of accounting GETINFOs
      when the last second's write or read exceeds the allotted bandwidth.
    - Report "unrecognized key" rather than an empty string when the
      controller tries to fetch a networkstatus that doesn't exist.
    - When the controller does a "GETINFO network-status", tell it
      about even those routers whose descriptors are very old, and use
      long nicknames where appropriate.
    - Fix handling of verbose nicknames with ORCONN controller events:
      make them show up exactly when requested, rather than exactly when
      not requested.
    - Controller signals now work on non-Unix platforms that don't define
      SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 the way we expect.
    - Respond to SIGNAL command before we execute the signal, in case
      the signal shuts us down. Suggested by Karsten Loesing.
    - Handle reporting OR_CONN_EVENT_NEW events to the controller.

  o Minor features, code performance:
    - Major performance improvement on inserting descriptors: change
      algorithm from O(n^2) to O(n).
    - Do not rotate onion key immediately after setting it for the first
      time.
    - Call router_have_min_dir_info half as often. (This is showing up in
      some profiles, but not others.)
    - When using GCC, make log_debug never get called at all, and its
      arguments never get evaluated, when no debug logs are configured.
      (This is showing up in some profiles, but not others.)
    - Statistics dumped by -USR2 now include a breakdown of public key
      operations, for profiling.
    - Make the common memory allocation path faster on machines where
      malloc(0) returns a pointer.
    - Split circuit_t into origin_circuit_t and or_circuit_t, and
      split connection_t into edge, or, dir, control, and base structs.
      These will save quite a bit of memory on busy servers, and they'll
      also help us track down bugs in the code and bugs in the spec.
    - Use OpenSSL's AES implementation on platforms where it's faster.
      This could save us as much as 10% CPU usage.

  o Minor features, descriptors and descriptor handling:
    - Avoid duplicate entries on MyFamily line in server descriptor.
    - When Tor receives a router descriptor that it asked for, but
      no longer wants (because it has received fresh networkstatuses
      in the meantime), do not warn the user. Cache the descriptor if
      we're a cache; drop it if we aren't.
    - Servers no longer ever list themselves in their "family" line,
      even if configured to do so. This makes it easier to configure
      family lists conveniently.

  o Minor fixes, confusing/misleading log messages:
    - Display correct results when reporting which versions are
      recommended, and how recommended they are. (Resolves bug 383.)
    - Inform the server operator when we decide not to advertise a
      DirPort due to AccountingMax enabled or a low BandwidthRate.
    - Only include function names in log messages for info/debug messages.
      For notice/warn/err, the content of the message should be clear on
      its own, and printing the function name only confuses users.
    - Remove even more protocol-related warnings from Tor server logs,
      such as bad TLS handshakes and malformed begin cells.
    - Fix bug 314: Tor clients issued "unsafe socks" warnings even
      when the IP address is mapped through MapAddress to a hostname.
    - Fix misleading log messages: an entry guard that is "unlisted",
      as well as not known to be "down" (because we've never heard
      of it), is not therefore "up".

  o Minor fixes, old/obsolete behavior:
    - Start assuming we can use a create_fast cell if we don't know
      what version a router is running.
    - We no longer look for identity and onion keys in "identity.key" and
      "onion.key" -- these were replaced by secret_id_key and
      secret_onion_key in 0.0.8pre1.
    - We no longer require unrecognized directory entries to be
      preceded by "opt".
    - Drop compatibility with obsolete Tors that permit create cells
      to have the wrong circ_id_type.
    - Remove code to special-case "-cvs" ending, since it has not
      actually mattered since 0.0.9.
    - Don't re-write the fingerprint file every restart, unless it has
      changed.

  o Minor fixes, misc client-side behavior:
    - Always remove expired routers and networkstatus docs before checking
      whether we have enough information to build circuits. (Fixes
      bug 373.)
    - When computing clock skew from directory HTTP headers, consider what
      time it was when we finished asking for the directory, not what
      time it is now.
    - Make our socks5 handling more robust to broken socks clients:
      throw out everything waiting on the buffer in between socks
      handshake phases, since they can't possibly (so the theory
      goes) have predicted what we plan to respond to them.
    - Expire socks connections if they spend too long waiting for the
      handshake to finish. Previously we would let them sit around for
      days, if the connecting application didn't close them either.
    - And if the socks handshake hasn't started, don't send a
      "DNS resolve socks failed" handshake reply; just close it.
    - If the user asks to use invalid exit nodes, be willing to use
      unstable ones.
    - Track unreachable entry guards correctly: don't conflate
      'unreachable by us right now' with 'listed as down by the directory
      authorities'. With the old code, if a guard was unreachable by us
      but listed as running, it would clog our guard list forever.
    - Behave correctly in case we ever have a network with more than
      2GB/s total advertised capacity.
    - Claim a commonname of Tor, rather than TOR, in TLS handshakes.
    - Fix a memory leak when we ask for "all" networkstatuses and we
      get one we don't recognize.