Tor 0.1.0.17 is released

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Feb 19 21:14:31 UTC 2006

Tor 0.1.0.17 fixes a crash bug for servers that enable hibernation,
lets Windows servers scale better, and tries to reduce the bandwidth
overhead from the old-style directory protocol. Both clients and servers
are encouraged to upgrade.

http://tor.eff.org/download

Changes in version 0.1.0.17 - 2006-02-17
  o Crash bugfixes on 0.1.0.x:
    - When servers with a non-zero DirPort came out of hibernation,
      sometimes they would trigger an assert.

  o Other important bugfixes:
    - On platforms that don't have getrlimit (like Windows), we were
      artificially constraining ourselves to a max of 1024
      connections. Now just assume that we can handle as many as 15000
      connections. Hopefully this won't cause other problems.

  o Backported features:
    - When we're a server, a client asks for an old-style directory,
      and our write bucket is empty, don't give it to him. This way
      small servers can continue to serve the directory *sometimes*,
      without getting overloaded.
    - Whenever you get a 503 in response to a directory fetch, try
      once more. This will become important once servers start sending
      503's whenever they feel busy.
    - Fetch a new directory every 120 minutes, not every 40 minutes.
      Now that we have hundreds of thousands of users running the old
      directory algorithm, it's starting to hurt a lot.
    - Bump up the period for forcing a hidden service descriptor upload
      from 20 minutes to 1 hour.