Tor 0.0.6 is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun May 2 19:40:31 UTC 2004

(For those following along on or-dev, 0.0.6 is the same as 0.0.6rc4.)

tarball:   http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/tor-0.0.6.tar.gz
signature: http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/tor-0.0.6.tar.gz.asc

Improvements since 0.0.5:
  o Features:
    - Hidden services and rendezvous points are implemented. Go to
      http://6sxoyfb3h2nvok2d.onion/ for an index of currently available
      hidden services. (This only works via a socks4a proxy such as
      Privoxy, and currently it's quite slow.)
    - We now rotate link (tls context) keys and onion keys.
    - CREATE cells now include oaep padding, so you can tell
      if you decrypted them correctly.
    - Retry stream correctly when we fail to connect because of
      exit-policy-reject (should try another) or can't-resolve-address.
    - When we hup a dirserver and we've *removed* a server from the
      approved-routers list, now we remove that server from the
      in-memory directories too.
    - Add bandwidthburst to server descriptor.
    - Directories now say which dirserver signed them.
    - Use a tor_assert macro that logs failed assertions too.
    - Since we don't support truncateds much, don't bother sending them;
      just close the circ.
    - Fetch randomness from /dev/urandom better (not via fopen/fread)
    - Better debugging for tls errors
    - Set Content-Type on the directory and hidserv descriptor.
    - Remove IVs from cipher code, since AES-ctr has none.
  o Bugfixes:
    - Fix an assert trigger for exit nodes that's been plaguing us since
      the days of 0.0.2prexx (thanks weasel!)
    - Fix a bug where we were closing tls connections intermittently.
      It turns out openssl keeps its errors around -- so if an error
      happens, and you don't ask about it, and then another openssl
      operation happens and succeeds, and you ask if there was an error,
      it tells you about the first error.
    - Fix a bug that's been lurking since 27 may 03 (!)
      When passing back a destroy cell, we would use the wrong circ id.
    - Don't crash if a conn that sent a begin has suddenly lost its circuit.
    - Some versions of openssl have an SSL_pending function that erroneously
      returns bytes when there is a non-application record pending.
    - Win32 fixes. Tor now compiles on win32 with no warnings/errors.
      o We were using an array of length zero in a few places.
      o Win32's gethostbyname can't resolve an IP to an IP.
      o Win32's close can't close a socket.
      o Handle windows socket errors correctly.
  o Portability:
    - check for <sys/limits.h> so we build on FreeBSD again, and
      <machine/limits.h> for NetBSD.