Tor 0.0.5 is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Mar 30 18:48:23 UTC 2004

(For those following along on or-dev, 0.0.5 is the same as 0.0.5rc3.)

tarball:   http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/tor-0.0.5.tar.gz
signature: http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/tor-0.0.5.tar.gz.asc

Improvements since 0.0.4:

  o Install torrc as torrc.sample -- we no longer clobber your
    torrc. (Woo!)
  o Fix mangled-state bug in directory fetching (was causing sigpipes).
  o Only build circuits after we've fetched the directory: clients were
    using only the directory servers before they'd fetched a directory.
    This also means longer startup time; so it goes.
  o Fix an assert trigger where an OP would fail to handshake, and we'd
    expect it to have a nickname.
  o Work around a tsocks bug: do a socks reject when AP connection dies
    early, else tsocks goes into an infinite loop.
  o Hold socks connection open until reply is flushed (if possible)
  o Make exit nodes resolve IPs to IPs immediately, rather than asking
    the dns farm to do it.
  o Fix c99 aliasing warnings in rephist.c
  o Don't include server descriptors that are older than 24 hours in the
    directory.
  o Give socks 'reject' replies their whole 15s to attempt to flush,
    rather than seeing the 60s timeout and assuming the flush had failed.
  o Clean automake droppings from the cvs repository
  o Add in a 'notice' log level for things the operator should hear
    but that aren't warnings