Tor 0.0.2pre23 prerelease is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Feb 29 11:24:22 UTC 2004

I've nailed one of the bugs that's been causing random delays. I've
also introduced plenty more chances for bugs -- bug reports (ideally
with stack traces, etc) very much appreciated. Everybody should upgrade,
especially servers, so we can see what random-delay-bugs remain.
pre23 should be compatible with pre18-22.

Note that 'make install' will clobber your torrc, so back it up if you've
changed it.

If you're upgrading from pre21, you will have a 'tor' binary left over in
your /usr/local/sbin, and you'll have to remove it by hand. Sorry.

http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/tor-0.0.2pre23.tar.gz

Improvements since 0.0.2pre22:

New features:
  - Print a statement when the first circ is finished, so the user
    knows it's working.
  - If a relay cell is unrecognized at the end of the circuit,
    send back a destroy. (So attacks to mutate cells are more
    clearly thwarted.)
  - New config option 'excludenodes' to avoid certain nodes for circuits.
  - When it daemonizes, it chdir's to the DataDirectory rather than "/",
    so you can collect coredumps there.

Bugfixes:
  - Fix a bug in tls flushing where sometimes data got wedged and
    didn't flush until more data got sent. Hopefully this bug was
    a big factor in the random delays we were seeing.
  - Make 'connected' cells include the resolved IP, so the client
    dns cache actually gets populated.
  - Disallow changing from ORPort=0 to ORPort>0 on hup.
  - When we time-out on a stream and detach from the circuit, send an
    end cell down it first.
  - Only warn about an unknown router (in exitnodes, entrynodes,
    excludenodes) after we've fetched a directory.