[tor-access] Does CloudFlare ever expire Tor Exit Nodes?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 23:30:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

We've just received some feedback from a Tor relay operator who accidentally
made their relay an exit for a short time.

Apparently this places them on the CloudFlare Tor list, and it's not clear if this
will ever change.

If there is no expiry, then there is a denial of service risk.

Anything that behaves like this will fill the list with entries:
* Start an Exit with an IPv4 address and get it on the CloudFlare list
* Move to the next IPv4 address

It doesn't even have to be malicious: home broadband routers and cheap
VPSs tend to behave like this when configured as Exits, as the load sometimes
causes them to crash.

Tim

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Paw <pawsen at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Remove IP from list of known Tor exit nodes
> Date: 3 March 2017 at 04:45:37 AEDT
>
>> So it wouldn't surprise me if Cloudflare won't unlist your IP on request
> You are right. I have written some mails to support at cloudflare.com <mailto:support at cloudflare.com>.
> According to
> https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203306930-Does-Cloudflare-block-tor <https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203306930-Does-Cloudflare-block-tor>
> Cloudflare updates its list of Tor exit node IP addresses every 15 minutes.
> But the reply I got from their support was:
>> it's not listed on honeypot it is not based on any maliscous activity
>> but rather was a special list of TOR endpoints curated by the request
>> of our customers to control access to their sites. As such your
>> endpoint won't be removed from that as it is a TOR endpoint this is
>> completely independent of the reputation.
> They have not registered any malicious activity from the IP and it is
> not figuring on https://check.torproject.org/exit-addresses <https://check.torproject.org/exit-addresses>, but still
> they won't remove it from their list.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com