[tor-access] Predicting effectiveness

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Wed Oct 12 21:41:08 UTC 2016

John Graham-Cumming:

> We already started that filtering approach. It's live for millions of
> web sites (although not all sites using Cloudflare) and has been for
> some time. It has resulted in a large drop in the use of CAPTCHA.

This is great news! Thank you!

> I was waiting to report to this group the results as I wanted to let
> it run for a while so we can see how well the abuse filtering works.
> But it's just fine that you mention is now.
>
> I'm very interested in the problem of filtering abusive Tor traffic
> because the Tor system is unique in its approach to privacy making it
> a challenge to filter well. This is an interesting engineering problem
> and has great benefits for us as being good at filtering abusive
> traffic from Tor makes us better at filtering abuse from the wider
> internet.

That is good to hear, also.

I do still notice CAPTCHAs for bare requests to the top-level domains of
paid sites. Is there a plan to roll this out for all CloudFlare sites at
some point for Tor traffic?

Also, I will see what we can do on our side about reviewing the spec and
the browser extension, taking Georg and Jeff's comments into
consideration. Is there a timeline for when that system will be ready on
your side?

--
Mike Perry