[tbb-dev] buildconf/num_procs inside RBM.pm?

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Jul 26 07:51:20 UTC 2021

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021, David Fifield wrote:

> I noticed that the "Resolving deltas" step of git clones was using a
> maximum of 3 threads. I thought about altering the command line in
> git_clone_fetch_chdir to include something like:
> 	'--config', 'pack.threads=' . config('buildconf/num_procs')
> (See https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#Documentation/git-config.txt-packthreads
> and https://git-scm.com/docs/git-index-pack#Documentation/git-index-pack.txt---threadsltngta.)
>
> But it looks like nothing inside RBM itself uses 'buildconf/num_procs',
> or even just 'buildconf'. It's only used by tor-browser-build files. Is
> there a way to use this information inside RBM, or does what I'm trying
> to do not make sense?

Yes, rbm doesn't know about buildconf/num_procs or anything in
buildconf/*, it's only used in tor-browser-build.

We usually use the following prefixes:

- var/ for options used by tor-browser-build only (but not by rbm)
- buildconf/ for options used by tor-browser-build only, that the user
  can change in rbm.local.conf, and that we reset when computing
  `var/build_id`, so that changing this option does not change the build
  ids (which would cause everything to be rebuilt)
- no prefix for the options used by rbm itself

I think we can add support for a `git_opt` option, that rbm would use
in all git commands. And then we would be able to add this line to
rbm.conf:

  git_opt: '--config pack.thread=[% c("buildconf/num_procs") %]'

> rbm.conf passes a buildconf.num_procs hash into the "c" function when
> computing the build_id, but I was not able to find where it might be
> used in the template expansion.
> 	build_id: '[% sha256(c("var/build_id_txt", { buildconf => { num_procs => 4 } })).substr(0, 6) %]'
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-build.git/tree/rbm.conf?h=tbb-10.5.3-build1#n73

var/build_id is used to compute a hash representing a build, based on
its input files, git commit, container used, and build files. In some of
the build files we use buildconf/num_procs, but we don't really want the
hash to change when we change buildconf/num_procs, as it's not supposed
to affect the output, so we override it in var/build_id.