[tbb-dev] Changes in Tor Browser's build system

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Feb 25 15:50:50 UTC 2021

Hello!

I am happy to inform you that I just landed changes[1] that make our Tor
Browser builds not require sudo privileges anymore. Thanks for the hard
work done by boklm to make that happen.

For everyone building Tor Browser with our reproducible builds system
that means they'll not only need to create new containers (that should
happen automatically) but will likely need to enable user namespaces
support as well on their build machine. This should already be properly
documented in our updated README file[2]. If there are things missing or
broken don't hesitate to ask and/or file a bug.

Thanks,
Georg

[1]
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/issues/23631