[tbb-dev] [Proposal] Tor Browser Quickstart - Call for Comments

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Wed Oct 28 14:05:10 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 09:31:39AM +0200, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Antonela Debiasi (2020-10-23):
> > We've been defining an improved user flow for starting Tor Browser and
> > connecting to Tor, with particular attention in censored contexts. The
> > aim is making Tor Browser proactive in detecting censorship and improve
> > the bridge's acquisition by making it easier for users to use them.
>
> Thanks for this detailed proposal! I could not check the details since
> GitLab is not responding at the moment, but what you wrote looks great
> to me :)
>
> FTR, in the context of Tails, since we don't allow the browser to
> control the Tor daemon's configuration, currently we're running Tor
> Launcher separately from the browser, as a XUL application. Once Tor
> Launcher is gone, presumably we won't be able to use the new
> in-browser UI. So in order to adjust to this change, likely we will
> need to:
>
> 1. Disable the new UI that configures & starts little-t-tor
>
>    Currently we do this with the TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1 environment
>    variable. It would be great if we were still able to toggle the
>    whole thing off in 1 single place with the new implementation :)

I think this is reasonable and we will continue supporting this feature.

> 2. Find, or write for scratch, another UI to configure & start
>    little-t-tor.

Yes, and I think the Tor Project and the Tor community should keep this
in mind. As Richard said, a configuration flow like this is needed for
many different applications and we should think about providing drop-in
solutions for this (instead of everyone developing their own).