[tbb-dev] [Proposal] Tor Browser Quickstart - Call for Comments

Antonela D tor at antonela.me
Mon Nov 30 11:49:54 UTC 2020

Thanks folks for the feedback on the proposal! All your comments are
appreciated and express a real need from our ecosystem while embedding tor
in your apps.

I'll summarize a few takeaways here:

- To be clear, Tor Launcher will not be removed. Tor Browser will have its
own UI for connecting, giving us more flexibility to develop censorship
detection and provide bridges to reach the internet. You can sneak peek and
comment here:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/trac/-/issues/40004

- No bootstrap mode is a must-to-have for advanced users or users trying to
debug their connection. We should include this ticket in the scope.
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/34345

- I don't think it should be a priority for us to provide a GUI for Tor
Launcher. With a good developer experience for embedding Tor in
applications, apps can have the freedom to implement tor in the way they
consider it convenient for the use case. Perhaps Tails as an OS wants to
have a Network Settings panel, but Ricochet or Cwtch as messaging apps want
to hide the user's connecting flow and provide safe defaults.

- That said, I'd love to collaborate with Tails on guiding apps on
connecting to Tor in a way that is usable and respectful for end-users.

- Starting Tor Browser just for the launcher is an over-engineering IMO. I
agree with Richard that the need for a lite way (call it API or library) to
embed tor is a real need. It is a whole topic and is a latent need from the
entire ecosystem.

During the Demo days, we got the chance to see the multiple ways developers
are embedding tor in their applications, how diverse this ecosystem is and
how painful it is for devs to find a healthy way to do it. A useful
side-effect of this project could be planning a way to improve that
developer experience on implementing tor.

We have the chance to look beyond Tor Browser and think where Tor can be
embedded by listening to the community and providing cool state of the art
tools for implementing tor in their apps.

Again, thank you for your feedback! I'll go back to this thread once we
have an alpha release so you can test it early.

Antonela Debiasi
UX Team Lead
torproject.org

@antonela