[tbb-dev] RFC: WebGL Click-to-Play as a Privacy Protection

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Sat Nov 21 15:25:02 UTC 2020

In light of WebGL extensions now being available [0] and other potential
uses of WebGL for fingerprinting, I'd like to consider restricting
access to the WebGL API in Tor Browser as a Privacy enhancement, and no
longer as a Security enhancement.

One major usability (webcompat) issue I know about when WebGL usage
requires click-to-play is Google Maps. Are there other popular sites
that break when click-to-play is enabled that we should consider?

Thanks,
Matt

[0] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40117