[tbb-dev] Search Usability Regression in v10

Peter Story pstory at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 18 21:36:33 UTC 2020

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for the quick reply! And no worries at all.

Glad to hear that the team is aware of the problem! I think that switching back to GETs (I believe this was the behavior before v10) wouldn’t significantly increase the threat of should surfing. With the current configuration, the search is still visible on the search results page itself, and after clicking on a linked page the text of the search is still visible in the browser’s back button.

I think this regression has the potential to seriously impact the browser’s usability, because when following links in search, a significant percent of linked websites block Tor users. When a user encounters a page which blocks them, they will probably try to return to the search results to try another website. Crucially, the back button not returning to the search results breaks this workflow.

How does decision-making for issues like this typically work? If I’d like to help fix this issue, do you have any recommendations (e.g., should I open a PR with a fix)?

Thank you!
-Peter