[tbb-dev] Turn on geolocation in Tor Browser

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Tue Mar 24 15:17:11 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 01:25:48PM +0100, Nicolas Vigier wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2020, Drew Johnson wrote:
>
> > I would like to have geolocation within the Tor Browser turned on.  I set geo.enabled to 'true'.  If I go to www.browserleaks.org/geo<http://www.browserleaks.org/geo> it does ask for me to allow it, but it always comes back with 'POSITION_UNAVAILABLE'.  I have gone through the code in nsGeolocation.cpp and it isn't obvious to me why it is returning this. Do I need to build the browser with some specific switches set?  I am using 9.5a7 and building for Windows 64-bit.
>
> I'm not sure, but maybe you also need to define geo.wifi.uri.

Relatedly, you may notice that access to the Geolocation service
requires an API key for either of Google's or Mozilla's location
services. Tor Browser doesn't provide one, so you'll need to use your
own. You could try putting it directly in the geo.wifi.url pref (instead
of "GOOGLE_LOCATION_SERVICE_API_KEY", as an example).