[tbb-dev] Problems auto-installing extensions for new user profiles

Thomas Klausner wiz at NetBSD.org
Tue Apr 21 19:57:57 UTC 2020

Hi!

I'm trying to improve the default behavior for the tor-browser package
in pkgsrc.

For this reason, I want to install the noscript and https-everywhere
extensions by default for new users, but leave the users the option to
update them if they want; the sysadmin probably will be slower than
the users.

So following a stackoverflow post I found
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37728865/install-webextensions-on-firefox-from-the-command-line)
I made packages that install the xpi files for noscript and
https-everywhere below ${MAINDIR}/distribution/extensions/, like this:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  3076882 Apr 21 21:37 /usr/pkg/lib/tor-browser/distribution/extensions/https-everywhere at eff.org.xpi
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   582656 Apr 21 21:37 /usr/pkg/lib/tor-browser/distribution/extensions/{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}.xpi

I got the final names under which to install them from a tor-browser
user profile into which I installed them manually.

When I start tor-browser without a profile, I see that the noscript
xpi was copied automatically, but the https-everywhere one was not.

I.e.,
${PROFILEDIR}/extensions/{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}.xpi
exists but https-everywhere at eff.org.xpi is not there. I see the same
in about:addons - NoScript is listed, but HTTPS Everywhere is not.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or how to find out for sure?

Thanks,
 Thomas

(please cc, not subscribed)