[tbb-dev] Fwd: [Mozilla Enterprise] Moving Firefox to a faster 4-week release cycle!

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Sun Sep 22 05:24:00 UTC 2019

FYI:

Georg

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Mozilla Enterprise] Moving Firefox to a faster 4-week release
cycle!
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:16:53 -0700
From: Ritu Kothari <rkothari at mozilla.com>
To: enterprise at mozilla.org

 We’re excited to announce
<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/09/moving-firefox-to-a-faster-4-week-release-cycle/>
that we’re adjusting Firefox release cadence to increase our agility, and
to bring you new features more quickly. Starting Q1 2020, we plan to ship a
major Firefox release every 4 weeks.

Shorter release cycles provide greater flexibility to support product
planning and priority changes due to business or market requirements. It
allows us to be more agile and ship features faster while applying the same
rigor and due diligence needed to ship a high-quality and stable
release. *Major
updates to ESR* (Extended Support Release
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/> for the enterprise)
*will
remain yearly, as they do now*. There will be a 3 months support overlap
between new ESR and end-of-life of previous ESR version. The next two major
ESR releases will be ~June 2020 and ~June 2021. This change will be
deployed gradually starting with Fx71, achieving 4 week release cadence by
Q1 2020. You can refer to
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar for the latest release
dates and other  information.

As we slowly reduce our release cycle length, from 7 weeks down to 6, 5, 4
weeks, there will be close monitoring of aspects like release scope change;
developer productivity impact (tree closure, build failures); beta code
churn (uplifts, new regressions); overall release stabilization and quality
(stability, performance, carryover regressions). Our main goal is to
identify bottlenecks that prevent us from being more agile in our release
cadence. Appropriate mitigations will be put in place should our metrics
highlight an unexpected trend.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email release-mgmt at mozilla.com

Thanks,

Ritu Kothari