[tbb-dev] Building Tor Browser (Firefox)

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed May 29 08:13:00 UTC 2019

Rishabh Raj:
> Hello Georg,
>
> I was finally able to build it, but here is what I had to do. |./mach
> configure| will not run unless I do not patch the
> "build/moz.configure/init.configure" file using this website
> <https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/36f4ba2fb6f5>. After this,
> I figured out that |./mach build| was giving me errors because my rust
> version was 1.34. I downgraded it to 1.29 and it worked (I have no clue as
> to why this is required).

I wonder what branch you are actually using for building because that
the patch for bug 1479540, which you need, got backported to esr60
months ago and is available on all recent tor-browser branches. That
might be the underlying problem for your rust issues as well.

Please check out `tor-browser-60.7.0esr-9.0-1` which is the current
development branch (but `tor-browser-60.7.0esr-8.5-1` should work as well.

> But now that it has built, I did |./mach stage-package| and then copied the
> contents of the folder "obj-*/dist/firefox/" to the "Browser/" folder of
> tor-browser-linux64-8.5_en-US which I downloaded from Tor Browser's
> website. But now, when I run |./start-tor-browser.desktop|, it launches
> Firefox browser with my current profile. I thought that it would launch Tor
> Browser, but it didn't. Is this how it's supposed to work? I feel that I am
> close and I might be missing something here. I would be really grateful if
> you could tell me what I am missing here.

I think you are not checking out the proper tor-browser branch (see
above), which explains why you need to provide an own .mozconfig file
etc. even though that file with the Tor Browser settings is already there.

Georg