[tbb-dev] Building Tor Browser (Firefox)

Rishabh Raj rishabhstpaul at gmail.com
Wed May 29 02:16:08 UTC 2019

Hello Georg,

I was finally able to build it, but here is what I had to do. |./mach
configure| will not run unless I do not patch the
"build/moz.configure/init.configure" file using this website
<https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/36f4ba2fb6f5>. After this,
I figured out that |./mach build| was giving me errors because my rust
version was 1.34. I downgraded it to 1.29 and it worked (I have no clue as
to why this is required).

But now that it has built, I did |./mach stage-package| and then copied the
contents of the folder "obj-*/dist/firefox/" to the "Browser/" folder of
tor-browser-linux64-8.5_en-US which I downloaded from Tor Browser's
website. But now, when I run |./start-tor-browser.desktop|, it launches
Firefox browser with my current profile. I thought that it would launch Tor
Browser, but it didn't. Is this how it's supposed to work? I feel that I am
close and I might be missing something here. I would be really grateful if
you could tell me what I am missing here.

For the record, I would be modifying Firefox's webgl code (as in the code
which handles the various animation programs which using webgl)

Warm Regards,
Rishabh Raj