[tbb-dev] Building Tor Browser (Firefox)

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue May 28 11:39:00 UTC 2019

Rishabh Raj:
> Hello,
> I had previously sent a similar mail on tbb-community-team. But Georg
> advised me to send it on tbb-dev. So here I am.
>
> I am actually working on modifying some parts of Tor Browser for my project
> and for that I will need to build Tor Browser's source code. I was
> following this website
> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking>
> (Georg has updated it now) and after cloning tor-browser-build repo, I did
> a |make nightly-linux-x86_64|, which took almost half a day to complete on
> my Ubuntu 18.04 system. But, since I would be making some changes to the
> browser (mostly Firefox code), I need to alter code and build again and
> again.
>
> In the above website, there is an option for '*Building Just Firefox*' and
> I am trying that. Coming to the updated wiki, I think there might still be
> some issues there. Allow me to make myself clearer:
>
> (1)
> Installation of packages. Some of them may be deprecated. For example I get
> this after running the command :
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package hardening-wrapper is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'hardening-wrapper' has no installation candidate
> E: Unable to locate package libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev'
> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev'
>
> (2)
> Assuming this is not the issue, I proceeded and made the new file
> |.mozconfig| and copied the given two lines into it, cloned and moved the
> tor-launcher as well and ran the |./mach configure --with-tor-...| command,
> which gives:

What happens if you try my last advice:

"""
No need for a new .mozconfig. If you check out the latest tor-browser
branch (tor-browser-60.7.0esr-9.0-1) there is already a .mozconfig file
that works for Linux.

Then just using the mach commands on the wiki should work (I tested that
at least the configure command worked on my system) provided you have
the right packages installed.
"""
?

Georg