[tbb-dev] Tor Browser 8.x and Letterboxing

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Thu Mar 14 09:16:22 UTC 2019

Thanks for this!

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 14:38, Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> wrote:
> Q: Do you need a button to disable it globally or after an
> individual resize?
>
> I'd be fine with a preference being exposed.

So a pref that would disable it globally; but there's no way to
disable it otherwise?

I realize I didn't unpack the 'individual resize' part.  I had had the
idea that perhaps a user is very picky about their browser, and they
put it in a particular place and damn it, they don't want it
letterboxed. We could show a button that disables letterboxing *until*
you resize the window again, at which point you're again letterboxed
and you would have to click the button again.

I would be happy to not build that ever - even more happy to not build
it for the MVP.

> Q: For very low resolution - under 100 pixels in a dimension -
> does it need to do something intelligent or just not do any margins at all?
>
> I am not sure I understand the question, could you elaborate?

Let's say we letterbox to multiples of 100px. That means if your
resolution is 150x150px, you get letterboxed to 100px x 100px.

What if your resolution is 50px x 50px? Or 50px x 175px?  Currently,
we don't letterbox you and your resolution is whatever you have it set
to, and you're fingerprintable.

Should we do something else? I don't like the idea of locking the
browser to a large size the user cannot make smaller.

> Q: Does it need a user walkthrough explainer? (Probably I
> think... maybe you can start thinking of how that would look?)
>
> I think that sounds like a good idea.

Me too. Can I ask antonela to put this on her plate?  I can brainstorm
with her an initial idea of how I envisioned it looking, and just let
her take over from there?  Depending on how complicated this is, and
how far it differs from code I can copy-and-modify, I may not be able
to complete this development task though...

-tom