[tbb-dev] Tor Browser for Android Reviews on Google Play

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jan 28 14:22:00 UTC 2019

Hi!

Thanks for this compilation, really helpful. I tried to come up with the
tickets we already have for a bunch of things you mentioned below and
made some suggestions for things that are worth tracking I think:

Matthew Finkel:

[snip]

> The remaining comments were:
>   - Requesting tor integration directly into the app (ticket #28051)
>   - Requesting ability to take screenshots (ticket #27987)
>   - Can't download images/pdfs/files (ticket #28705)
>   - Tor is slow
>   - Request for Russian localizations (ticket #26843)
>   - Request for additional localizations (ticket #26843)
>   - Lack of ad-blocker

#17569

>   - Prevented from installing add-ons (primarily for installing an
>     ad-blocker)

#27762

>   - Request for a single button that disables all scripts
>   - Request for supporting x86 devices (ticket #27210)
>   - Observation Tor Browser is not a torrent client
>

> In December, including comments before and after the release where the
> app included its own tor client, the most frequent comment/request
> referred to the browser not connecting. I know there is currently a bug
> where Android stops the tor process but Tor Browser doesn't detect this,
> and the user only receives a proxy error. I'm not certain this why the
> users are saying the browser doesn't connect, but it's an annoying bug
> in any case.

Hm, do we have a way to detect that from browser land? Sounds like a
good candidate for a ticket to me.

> The second most frequent comment in December related to the app crashing
> after attempting a file download.

#28705 I guess.

> There were multiple comments and questions about the Orbot integration.
> Some users asked if they needed Orbot installed anymore, others
> requested that development continue on Orbot and Tor Browser shouldn't
> replace Orbot. There were additional questions and concerns about Tor
> Browser's Orbot screen and configuring VPN mode - specifically using Tor
> Browser's (Orbot's) VPN mode for torifying other apps. This last issue
> should be resolved with the new bootstrapping UI and the enxt release
> should mitigate the Orbot/Tor Browser UI/UX confusion. We should be more
> clear about Tor Browser's dependency on the Orbot app. I'm not sure how
> we should communicate this, yet.

We should think about this once we have the final browser + tor combo
(browser + orbot is just a stopgap) ready, evaluating what of the
problems you mentioned above is still valid and then tackling those.

> There were more requests for Russian localization and Turkish
> localization. Users should see this automatically now if their device is
> configured with another language as the default. If the device is not
> configured with Russian/Turkish as their default language, then they can
> select another locale in Fennec/Tor Browser's settings menu, but maybe
> this isn't obvious. We can think about how we can/should make this
> easier.

I wonder whether the Mozilla folks have some thoughts here and whether
there is a bug on bugzilla on file for that as I am assuming they have
the same issues/complaints. Or maybe their users know what to do?

> The remaining comments were:
>   - The new update didn't work in Iran

Any indication as to what is going on here or is it "just" censorship?

>   - Request for bridge support (ticket #28802)
>   - It's not obvious when Tor isn't running
>   - Request for x86 support (ticket #27210)
>   - Updates aren't working, users are reinstalling the app after each
>     update

We should file a ticket for that one.

>   - Request for detecting and using the Orbot app if it's installed
>   - A user noticed the app "randomly" start
>   - A user noticed the app stop after a long period of use
>   - Tor Browser is using the Orfox logo (ticket #27399)
>   - Add-on installation is blocked
>   - Request for a Javascript button (toggle on/off)
>   - Tor is slow
>   - Request for a circuit display

#25764

>   - Tor Browser's Orbot doesn't start tor, progress hangs at startup
>     without any errors
>   - Tabs aren't restored after Android kills the app in the background
>   - Request to make Tor Browser SDCard-compatible

What's the issue here, do we know? Sounds worth a ticket I think.

>   - Request for allowing taking of screenshots (ticket #27987)
>
> There were two comments about failure after installing the update and
> reinstalling the app as a result. We should investigate this. One
> instance was reported on a Blackberry Priv.

I agree.

Georg