[tbb-dev] Media Codecs and the canPlayType/Media Capabilities API

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Feb 8 20:58:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 10:08, Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> wrote:

> Tom Ritter:
> > On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 11:33, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:
> >> I suppose step one is to make a fingerprinting test that identifies
> >> what codecs you can handle...
> >
> > I started work on this; but got some tribal knowledge from jya and others:
> > https://mozilla.logbot.info/media/20190206#c15931239-c15932085
>
> Thanks for getting this started, really appreciated! What's the story on
> Android (given that we are not far away from shipping stable Tor Browser
> bundles to mobile users)?

I'm told that it's approximately the same situation as Linux.
h264, aac is technically provided by the OS but it's "always" there...
which means that there is some small fraction of users who are
probably looking pretty unique...

https://mozilla.logbot.info/developers/20190208#c15942787-c15942846

> > Summarizing:
> >  - Only AAC, h264, and vp9 may give different reports
>
> I think it would still be good to verify that for other codecs and be it
> just to catch possible regressions.

Yes; although this would be best checked with fpcentral; since we'd be
looking for a machine with weird hardware rather than our very similar
testing machines.

-tom