[tbb-dev] proposal for #28044 (Integrate Tor Launcher into tor-browser)

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Fri Feb 8 18:38:23 UTC 2019

Hi again,

Mark Smith:
> On 2/8/19 10:39 AM, intrigeri wrote:
>> OK. I understand this will allow Tails to:
>>
>>  - Build and ship a Tor Launcher extension (disabled in our main Tor
>>    Browser profile, as per R3).
>>
>>  - Run Tor Launcher just like we currently do, until we switch to
>>    68esr in October. Once we're based on 68esr, we won't be able to
>>    run Tor Launcher as a XUL/XPCOM extension anymore, and we'll need
>>    to replace it with another tool.

> Tails uses -app today, correct?

Yes, we do this:

  exec_unconfined_firefox \
    -app "${TOR_LAUNCHER_INSTALL}/application.ini" \
    -profile "${PROFILE}"

… with a custom application.ini that contains (in Tails 3.12):

  [App]
  Vendor=TorProject
  Name=TorLauncher
  Version=0.2.16.6
  BuildID=20190128
  ID=tor-launcher at torproject.org

  [Gecko]
  MinVersion=60.5.0
  MaxVersion=*.*.*

  [Shell]

> Has that been removed from Firefox now?

Apparently not. With Firefox 65 on Debian, I've extracted
tor-launcher at torproject.org.xpi from current stable Tor Browser, added
the aforementioned application.ini in the same directory, and run
"firefox -app /tmp/blah/application.ini". Then I see a Tor Launcher
"Unable to start Tor" dialog and once I click through it, the "Connect
to Tor" one.

Does this mean it'll still work in Firefox 68esr?

> We do not plan to remove support for TOR_HIDE_BROWSER_LOGO=1. […]
> And I think you are correct: we can just drop the TL_LOGO
> build-time option.

:)

>>> 4.3 UI For Access To The Tor Network Settings
>>
>>> Currently, the Torbutton toolbar menu contains a "Tor Network Settings"
>>> menu item which causes Tor Launcher to open its Network Settings
>>> dialog. As plans for incorporating the Torbutton functionality into
>>> the core browser proceed, we may need to provide a new method for users
>>> to access the network settings. Tentatively, we plan to eliminate the
>>> Torbutton toolbar item and its associated menu, which means new UI will
>>> need to be added to provide access to Tor Launcher's Network Settings
>>> dialog.
>>
>> I think Tails will need some way to hide this new UI (otherwise user
>> experience will be poor as Tor Browser in Tails is not actually
>> allowed to change such settings). If we can do this in our profile
>> config, with something like userChrome.css, that would be good enough
>> considering we'll need to replace Tor Launcher in October.

> We will keep this requirement in mind as we move forward. Thanks for
> bringing it to our attention.

Excellent!

Cheers,
--