[tbb-dev] proposal for #28044 (Integrate Tor Launcher into tor-browser)

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Fri Feb 1 14:27:34 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Mark Smith wrote:

> 3.1 Source Code Integration
>
> Prior to building the browser, the Tor Launcher code will be placed
> under browser/extensions/tor-launcher/. To avoid the problems
> associated with git submodules, this will be done using a nested git
> repository. Specifically, we want to facilitate nightly and developer
> builds that require that the Tor Launcher code be referred to by a
> branch or symbolic name rather than a git hash. We will need to make
> TO-BE-DETERMINED changes to the firefox project within tor-browser-build
> to put the Tor Launcher code in the correct place within the tor-browser
> source tree, and to keep it up to date. The tor-launcher RBM project
> will be removed from tor-browser-build.

This sounds good. However, I think we should not remove completly the
tor-launcher project from tor-browser-build but do something like this:
 - modify the tor-launcher project to create a tar from the sources,
   instead of an xpi file
 - remove the tor-launcher dependency from projects/tor-browser and add
   it to projects/firefox.
 - in projects/firefox/build extract the tor-launcher tarball under
   browser/extensions/tor-launcher/.

Nicolas