[tbb-dev] [tor-packagers] torbrowser: problems with 9.0.1 source tarball

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Dec 2 17:44:25 UTC 2019

On Mon, 02 Dec 2019, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> > This is a change from this ticket:
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28044
> >
> > So you can either download tor-launcher, and extract it under
> > browser/extensions, renaming the tor-launcher-$version directory to
> > tor-launcher:
> > https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/9.0.1/src-tor-launcher-0.2.20.2.tar.xz
> > https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/9.0.1/src-tor-launcher-0.2.20.2.tar.xz.asc
> >
> > Or you can build without tor-launcher by adding "ac_add_options --disable-tor-launcher"
> > to the .mozconfig.
>
> What do you recommend? I'm unclear on what tor-launcher does.

tor-launcher is the part that is responsible for configuring and launching
the tor daemon that is included with Tor Browser.

So I think it depends how you plan to use the browser. If you plan to
use it with a system tor daemon (not started by the browser), then
building without tor-launcher might be an option. However I don't know
if that really works, or if we have things depending on tor-launcher
being there. An other option would be to include tor-launcher but
disable it by setting the TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH environment variable to 1.