[tbb-dev] Future Tor Browser for Android milestones

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Sep 12 12:26:00 UTC 2018

Georg Koppen:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Our first alpha for Tor Browser for Android is about to go live and we
>> could have a short meeting about the big picture for the things to come
>> until we call it stable.
>>
>> I outlined my thoughts in https://pad.riseup.net/p/nlhgUPXcS8SK. Please
>> add things I forgot or rearrange them. I think our MUST and SHOULD
>> format went well for the first alpha which is why I kept it.
>
> FWIW: we'll meet today at 1800 UTC, probably in #tor-meeting to discuss
> next steps on the mobile side. Please join us if you can.

Okay, the meeting went well yesterday. The IRC log can be found at

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting2/2018/tor-meeting2.2018-09-11-18.01.log.txt

The result we ended up with on the pad is:

"""
I think we need at least two further alpha builds before declaring TBA
stable.

2nd alpha release (maybe mid-November 2018)

MUST: Integration into tor-browser-build (sisbell)
MUST: Orbot integration (sisbell/sysrqb)
MUST: Integration of some kind of Orbot launcher
      (sysrqb/sisbell/mcs/brade)
MUST: Improved linkability/fingerprinting resistance parity to Tor
      Browser on desktop (igt0)
SHOULD: UX parity to desktop (igt0)
SHOULD: Reproducible build (sisbell)
SHOULD: Clarify how we provide TBA updates (including delivering TBA
        over F-Droid) (team)
SHOULD: Come up with and implement the Orfox->Tor Browser for Android
transition process (team)
SHOULD: Provide localized Tor Browser for Android (geko/team)

3rd alpha release (maybe end of december 2018)

MUST: Reproducbile build (sisbell)
MUST: PT support (sysrqb/sisbell)
MUST: Linkability/fingerprinting resistance parity to Tor Browser on
      desktop (igt0)
MUST: UX parity to desktop (igt0)
MUST: clarify how we provide TBA updates (including delivering TBA over
      F-Droid) (team)
MUST: Come up with and implement the Orfox->Tor Browser for Android
      transition process (team)
MUST: Provide localized Tor Browser for Android (geko/team)
SHOULD: Provide arm and x86 builds as well (sisbell/team)

Other tasks not accounted for above
-----------------------------------

-Using Necko? (GeKo: I think we postpone that for after 1.0)
-Ticket triage for the above things to get a better feeling about work
 scope (sysrqb started with it it seems, great!) (GeKo: We'll do more
 triaging while hammering down the details in Mexico)

-If you make it to be on par with Tor Browser for Desktop, then give it
 the same version number, i.e. 8.5a1. (GeKo: Yes, we might want to do
 that eventually. Maybe we even bind the 8.5 release to the first TBA
 stable release to have a Tor Browser 8.5 across all platforms. However,
 we postpone that decision and go with a 1.0aX scheme for now as it is
 not exactly clear when we'll be ready)
"""

Georg