[tbb-dev] Daily users of Tor Browser

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Fri Mar 23 12:01:00 UTC 2018

I originally wrote wrote to metrics-team@ but they redirected me to you.

I wanted to have a (rough) number of daily users of Tor Browser to
compare it to the daily users of Tails (instead of comparing it to the
daily users of Tor as a whole).

I went up to "Update pings" in "Tor Browser downloads and updates":

https://metrics.torproject.org/webstats-tb.html

But I have a hard time interpreting this number from the description of
the metric:

« Update pings and update requests are requests made by Tor Browser to
check whether a newer version is available or to download a newer version. »

How often Tor Browser is pinging for updates? Once a day? Every time it
starts?

I also understand from #22346 that I should rather use the numbers after
the big drop around January 20.